Monzo Plus: Custom Categories

So to follow up on this, I’ve just been to a petrol station I’ve never been to before in the Czech Republic. The transaction was assigned to my custom ‘Fuel’ category automatically.

4 Likes

Have you edited out the address in your screenshot yet left the map and marker there? :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, that’s legit how terrible the merchant data is.

2 Likes

Oh wow, that is bad! :see_no_evil:

1 Like

If you cancel Plus, what happens to historic transactions that you’ve assigned a custom category?

They’ll go back to a default one.

3 Likes

Then I believe if you resubscribe they will go back to your custom ones again :mage:

2 Likes

If I amend a transaction to a custom category on Google Sheets will it ‘remember’ that, or simply revert to whatever is in Monzo next time the data refreshes?

How are people bulk amending categories on historic transactions? Manually in the app?

1 Like

It should get over written next time Monzo updates the sheet.

The only way to recategorise transactions is one by one in the app. :frowning:

3 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

Though if I remember correctly they only get updated if some data about the transaction in app changes.

If you went back to do categories of all transactions that have since cleared - it would only be a problem if you then change something again in app.

I think.

Either way it still means having to edit the live data which is probably not ideal.

What I would do is make a helper column for “adjusted category” for all the old data you want to change. And point any formula to that column

Good tip but sad act I am, I’ve spent the morning updating them in app now anyway.

1 Like

I agree, this is a nice feature that everyone should be able to enjoy at a base level including joint accounts.

I think anything on top of that can go to the plus package like exporting your transactions to google sheets.

Custom categories was my main reason for purchasing Monzo Plus, but I’ll be unsubscribing if bulk editing isn’t available before my minimum term expires.

When budgeting, I need to be able to understand my past spending behaviour. If there’s not an easy way for me to re-categorise the four years of transactions I have in Monzo (or even the last 12 months), then the custom categories are useless to me.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Continuing the conversation from over here:

2 Likes

They are remembered, so it’s only the first time you really have to worry.

But I do think a few rules / intelligent automation wouldn’t go amis. Example:

I (sometimes) buy breakfast, lunch, snacks and coffee from the work canteen. I have separate categories for them (mostly to shame myself to eat breakfast before I leave or to bring in lunch). It’s the same merchant so I need to categorise differently. Some AI (or manual rules) would be able to spot value/time combo and recategorise automagically. That would be nice.

4 Likes

They’re not! So many of mine keep reverting back to general the next time a transaction is made, especially with connected accounts, and I got fed up of keeping on top of it.

My brief stint of going back to standard for a few months didn’t help, because nothing persisted once I’d upgraded again.

It’s too much micromanaging, and I’m the all or nothing sort. It’s reminiscent of my frustrations with Last FM back in the day and the song tags, making sure it was the right one, and that it stayed right. Causes more frustrating trying to use it than the benefit of using it is worth for me.

They are!

At the risk of turning this into a childish back and forth, all debit card and DD payments definitely are (on Android). Transfers aren’t.

Do you have some examples (or transaction types)? Someone at Monzo should probably look at it (side-eye to @AlanDoe!)

1 Like

Are not! :triumph:

I swear, if this is another parity issue and not the result of me downgrading for a few months I’ll be even more peeved. That’s another thing they really need to focus on! Especially when I come here to report fixing an annoyance as a feature suggestion, and all the android stroll in with their smug screenshots of my suggestion already existing (not being able to edit scheduled pot payments being the most pressing for me) :sob:

Do they persist if the merchant data is different? Because I noticed the ones that don’t get auto categorised for some things are the non-subscription purchases, which also lack a logo or merchant enrichment vs the subscription transactions.

Yfood! I’ll edit to add screenshots later (away from my phone right now) my subscription has the logo, the nice name, and the correct category. My ad hoc purchases don’t have any of that.

Nintendo transactions are annoying too. I don’t know if they keep changing things, but that’s one that keeps resetting (along with losing merchant enrichment).