Monzo Plus - Bi-Weekly Update 14th November 2019

Do you remember when all the staff teased Apple Pay a few weeks before it launched?

I’m getting that vibe here

If they all say they’re pretty excited for the new cards then duck and cover

3 Likes

This isn’t the standard that I’d use as my criteria. The question for me is: how much value does a feature add, in terms of it’s potential to improve people’s financial wellbeing?

If a feature is just for power users then that implies that it’s a nice to have and only a small proportion of Monzo’s users would want it. In which case, it’d generally be unlikely to move the needle in terms of subscriber numbers. So why would Monzo spend the time / cost to build and maintain it?

If a feature adds enough value to prompt a lot of people to want to use it then in my opinion, it should be provided by Monzo for free because of the potential to make a meaningful difference to a large number of people’s financial wellbeing.

28 Likes

:muscle: Power use features: if there is a feature that only a minority of our customer base really care about it, and it costs us time or money to build and maintain, then we’ll likely include these in a paid account. Without that revenue, it’s not something we’d be able to prioritise.

“Only a minority use this” was also the rationale that made Google Chrome remove the “Re-open closed tab” menu item, much to the confusion, anger and panic of everyone.

That said, very excited to see and hear more!

4 Likes

I’m too cynical. The cards will be made of recycled Tesco bags-4-life, you just know it.

8 Likes

I’d say virtual cards would be a good example if this. A minority of users want them and probably would be willing to pay for them but they add no value to most users

5 Likes

Then the equation probably doesn’t balance out.

1 Like

The only “software” feature I’d be happy to pay for is virtual cards, and even then only if we could create an unlimited (with a fair use policy) amount

3 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

ok, @simonb just sent me a picture of them, they’re made of UNICORN HORNS & RAINBOWS

:unicorn::rainbow::unicorn::rainbow::unicorn::rainbow:

:rofl:

4 Likes

The slaughter of so many innocent Unicorns, all to satisfy this insane hunger for more magical and sparkly debit cards! How do you even begin to carbon offset that? :laughing:

4 Likes

Invest in solar powered rhinos

2 Likes

wait i thought we were the unicorn :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

@tomdavies is joint account support planned for the new Monzo Plus?

3 Likes

@tomdavies Please let them be Hot Coral! :heart_eyes: :pray:
Maybe they could be called Hot Coral+, apparently it’s trendy nowadays.

On its own, probably not, but as a package with other equally none important things then maybe :woman_shrugging:

Which adds up to even more time / cost spent in order to gain each subscription, potentially too much to make Plus a meaningful source of revenue.

1 Like

The more “niche” / “power user” features you have, the more valuable the entire proposition becomes. I don’t think we are going to come out of the gate trying to appeal to hundreds of thousands of our customers. The proposition will appeal to a subset of users, and that subset will grow over time depending on what we add to it.

3 Likes

Please see the above :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I’m uncharacteristically going to be reserved and wait until i see the final 3 tiers before deciding what i think about what and if potential features get pay walled.

It will be an awfully tricky thing to get right so all ill say is please make sure and TEST TEST TEST. Not using silly principles but with actual people of differing levels of new and not so new customers.

I’d be extremely disappointed if budgeting, custom categories etc where included in a paid tier.

Metal and Virtual cards, Insurance… no brainers.

7 Likes

We know this is important, but we’re focusing on getting the main current account absolutely spot on before we expand to joint accounts.

6 Likes

The entire app as it stands currently is perfectly usable and we’re all examples of that.

I can see why more advanced controls and options may be included in the Plus offering. Whether that’s a good move or not will hopefully come from their testing.

1 Like