Monzo now has a breakdown cover offer!

Yeah.

Sadly most (I think all) of the Monzo Offers are limited to one time / 12 months use.

Some of the offers and terms can be found on the Monzo Plus signup page here: https://monzo.com/i/monzo-plus/ But they haven’t added this one or any of the other recent ones - like a bike one I saw earlier.

2 Likes

I mean it’s a welcome addition to the the plus and premium package

But

A subscription add on to a subscription :joy: this will quickly get out of hand and confusing if they keep adding things that cost extra to plus and premium.

Bad move in my opinion (in terms of the additional cost model).

1 Like

Having had it clarified for me in the last few posts I wouldn’t call this an add-on to Plus/Premium.
It’s just a merchant discount offer, same as other discount offers in the offers section.

2 Likes

They (sort of) are, and I only just found out!

Your comment got me thinking, so went to the app, and after some trial and error, found that if you tap on “Upgrade your account” you’re presented with a list of features. If you you scroll to the “offers”, there is an “i” icon on the right hand side. When tapped, it gives you a list of offers (im going to hazard a guess and say that they’re somewhat updated, since the RAC offer is there, but it could just have been manually updated as it was a “biggie”)

2 Likes

Thanks. A useful addition to that screen would be the ability to click on T&Cs

2 Likes

It’s an available add on as such as it’s only available to plus/ premium member, which is a shame. Why is it not available to standard customers if it’s not a plus/ premium add on?

They must have been between a rock and a hard place launching this because this is a standard feature on other premium account. But they can’t really include it peoples current subscriptions and raise the price. But people have asked for this as part of the account :man_shrugging:t4:

Which takes us back to the pick and mix account, which didn’t work out in the past.

I don’t have any answers as to what’s the best way off launching this, I just think an add on to a subscription isn’t the way. Because what happens if they start launching more features? Do they include it in the subscription? If they do do they raise the price or leave it?

They’ve set a precedence here which will be difficult to deal with in the future.

1 Like

Had to write something of my own because want allowed to make an empty post. But the second quote makes the point needed for the reply without needing more from me.

2 Likes

Monzo Plus £5 & RAC Ultimate £9.50 = £14.50

RAC Ultimate = £19

I know you don’t want to see any good in what Monzo do but you can try sometimes

5 Likes

I think you’re expecting too much. Some people only ever post if it can be a negative comment about Monzo, so even if there’s something that they think is good, they will stay :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

If I compare my old HSBC Advance account, I (eventually) paid £11.95 per month for Travel Insurance, Mobile device insurance and UK/EU Breakdown cover. You had to pay extra. They did at one point have bolt-ons too, which were extra £££’s. They recently killed the Advance but I believe there is now another ‘bolt-on’ type of paid plan available.

I’m paying £15 for Premium now and have the same (with other extra’s), but minus the breakdown cover. So if I jumped for the basic breakdown cover (@ £50 extra per year) then it’d work out at £19.16 per month for all available Premium extra’s - including metal card, interest, open banking, custom categories, virtual cards, discounted airport lounge access, fee-free allowances, google sheets export. So compared to £11.95 for the HSBC Advance, this is very good value in my opinion.

But if you have need for only one ‘bolt-on’ - like the RAC offer - then it isn’t commercially worth the extra’s if you’ll never use them.

Has anyone signed up for this yet? Do you create an account with them once you sign up?

I think/hope this might be a better way of doing it.

It’s not Plus but I don’t want offers. Or Premium but I want to pay less because I don’t need phone insurance.

Plus and Premium are set. £5 & £15. You get what you get. Don’t want part of it? It’s still £5 and £15

But if you want breakdown cover or laptop insurance or bike insurance or plant insurance, you add them on yourself.

Kinda how Sky do it. You get a basic you add on to that (Sport/Movies) but you can’t join Sky and just have sports/movies.

Closer to the original pick n mix plus option!

I like it but no car but definitely sounds good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haven’t had a proper look at what’s on offer myself, but if I’m not mistaken, assuming you want RAC cover, the worst value offer here is essentially Monzo Plus for free?

RAC standard regular price £10

Monzo Plus + RAC Standard = £10

That’s pretty good if you ask me. From my perspective anyway. It’s essentially all the Monzo Plus bells and whistles for free.

No idea if the RAC offers are available anywhere else, i.e. not exclusive. If so, might be why some people don’t see the value here.

2 Likes

I’ve gone through the sign up flow and it looks like you have to use the same mobile number as the one you use with Monzo to get the offer. So there does seem to be a tie to the Monzo customer records from the RAC for validation. It also seems that you create a new account as part of the sign-up, so it will be a new account and the monthly/annual amount(s) funded by the Monzo Plus/Premium account.

2 Likes

But this is the case for pretty much any deal/offer you can think of.

You can get deals for most things yourself if you speak to the right person, haggle, complain etc. But some people don’t want the stress of that, they don’t think they’ll get a good deal themselves or they are not confident in talking to someone to get it.

Take Sky as an example. I think it’s madness that people pay full price, but plenty do. Plenty of people get 20% off and are happy as Larry with that. Some get 50% and want more and do manage to get more.

If Monzo offered 20% off your Sky bill, that would be brilliant for some, average for others and terrible for some. They are never going to be able to negotiate the absolute best rate in the world just for Monzo customers for something that people actually want.

Maybe someone who makes mugs in their bedroom might give Monzo 90% because they love Monzo themselves, but the companies that customer want to use are strict with these things.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree at all. But at the same time, it shows very little innovation from a company who wanted banking to be different and disrupt banking. They are just a bank without branches now. I would LOVE to see some innovation from them this year. Fingers crossed.

4 Likes

To be honest, while the deal is not bad at all. I believe RAC offer this type of discounts most of the time to new customers if you look for them. Last summer, they put my prices up, I called them to cancel and they offered 50% off, which was only meant for new customers. So while I appreciate Monzo offering this, I would have expected more value for plus customers.

I think there’s a discount if you pay for the full year as on the “non Monzo” sign up too. Just looking at those numbers but will edit my post.

I looked at that but it doesn’t make total sense, the RAC (non-Monzo offer) is offering 1 month free at the selection stage, on the Standard plan at £10 per month. So you’d assume the total is £110 (at £10 per month for 11 months) - and - it is also available for £100 as a one-off payment for the year (so a £10 discount for annual payment)

Using the same logic, it goes awry at the Ultimate tier…

the RAC (non-Monzo offer) is offering 2 months free at the selection stage, on the Advanced plan at £14 per month. So you’d assume the total is £140 (at £14 per month for 10 months) - but - it is also available for £140 as a one-off payment for the year. (No discount for annual payment)

the RAC (non-Monzo offer) is offering 3 months free at the selection stage, on the Ultimate plan at £19 per month. So you’d assume the total is £171 (at £19 per month for 9 months) - but - it is also available for £190 as a one-off payment for the year. (more money for annual payment)

There must be other factors involved.