Monzo now has a breakdown cover offer!

Not really a great deal for premium account holders compared to other providers but it’s cheaper for those who would pay full price I guess… Money maker for Monzo though, so there’s that.

1 Like

I don’t understand so if it costs £5 a month to get it - why would I pay a extra 5 on top of my plus/premium to get it when it’s the same price?

3 Likes

A quick search throws up any number of 50% off deals, which is what these prices are essentially.

Wish it did :red_car:

But that’s the general gist of Monzo’s special offers - it’s deals you can get elsewhere for no cost. Monzo just bunches them all up for you in one app because that’s what people want to pay for.

2 Likes

It’s not the same price. The prices David posted as the Monzo prices. The ones I posted are the standard prices.

Quick like-for-like comparison

RAC Standard (1x free month with £15 legal) = £125 per year or £10.41 per month
Monzo Standard (free £15 legal) = £60 £50 per year* or £5 per month

RAC Advanced (2x free month with £15 legal) = £155 per year or £12.92 per month
Monzo Advanced (free £15 legal) = £84 £70 per year* or £7 per month

RAC Ultimate (3x free month with £15 legal) = £186 per year or £15.50 per month
Monzo Advanced (free £15 legal) = £114 £95 per year* or £9.50 per month

So the Monzo offer is very good in comparison to the stock RAC prices.

*After going through the sign up flow, the RAC website let’s you pay upfront for the year and discounts further on the single payment. I’ve updated the figures above (in bold)

12 Likes

Oooooo my bad. I get it now so kinda a decent discount if you’re with RAC since it’s technically 50%~~ off

1 Like

I might be the only one that thinks this but I dislike the add on increase in price. Does this mean every new benefit will keep hiking this monthly price up

5 Likes

Hang on, you’re not factoring in the additional Plus/Premium monthly fee.

No, I’m not - only the singled-out RAC pricing for a like-for-like price for the service (assuming you already have Plus/Premium)

If you want only the RAC cover and don’t have Plus/Premium then you’ll be at the same level with a Plus account and considerably higher with a Premium. But you get the other Plus/Premium benefits too so not a like-for-like.

3 Likes

But you can’t get those Monzo/RAC prices if you don’t pay the £5/month or £15/month account fee. Comparing apples with oranges.

2 Likes

“Don’t sign up for Plus and Premium just for the breakdown cover add-on”

That factors it in well enough, I think.

The money you’re paying for Plus/Premium gives you other benefits and features already. So you don’t need to account for it in the RAC price comparison.

10 Likes

It’s not. But I think most breakdown firms will allow you to upgrade on the spot if you are in difficulty. And if you anticipate it being a problem, it’s only £2pm more for unlimited tow.

2 Likes

Just gone through the sign up flow and the RAC website let’s you pay £5 per month - OR - £50 per year. So if you pay upfront, you save another tenner on the base plan. I’ll edit my earlier comparison.

3 Likes

How do you get to that screen? I can’t find it it.

Hopefully you don’t need to be a Plus/Premium member just to access the terms & conditions for the breakdown cover!

You need to be Plus/Premium so that you can access the Offers section:

Yeah as above :point_up:

Here they are though:

1 Like

Ah so this is essentially a new customer discount offer that applies for up to 12 months.

It’s not a breakdown cover product integrated into Monzo app, which is what I first assumed.

1 Like

It’s a shame offers aren’t browsable by non-Plus/Premium customers.
They might entice people to join Plus/Premium.

9 Likes