Monzo Labs: Pay anyone by text or email

about to suggest the same thing about having the amount being put in a pot

1 Like

Deal with this the same way that you deal with card authorisations that are never presented? Show the amount as having left your account immediately, and credit it back explicitly if the link isn’t used before it times out. (This has the added benefit that you get a notification as a reminder to contact the payee when they don’t claim the money in time.)

If you change to taking the money from the account immediately, this can just be a transaction in the feed. It would be a useful place to hang all the operations to do with the transaction: show status, get another copy of the link, cancel the payment, etc. as well as the usual options for categorisation and setting the transaction notes and attachments.

Can you do the same thing that you do when a monzo.me link is opened on a device that has the Monzo app installed, and get the app to handle the link directly? It could just go to a screen with a ‘Claim payment’ button on it.

In the web page source for a payment, some missing substitutions:

<meta name=“robots” content=“{{ .robots }}” />
<meta name=“description” content=“{{ .description }}”>

13 Likes

Woah! Nice catch. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Have used the full flow now

Observations:

1. Need to be able to see it in scheduled payments or similar

2. Need to be able to cancel in app without asking

3. The share into WhatsApp should include the personalised message and amount

4. The note in app for the transaction was the message, but cropped - should be in full

I don’t like the name - “Pay by text or email”
It’s a link and can me shared a multitude of ways not just text or email so doesn’t seem too intuitive to me.

8 Likes

Already posted my feedback over on the Android changelog thread :grin::stuck_out_tongue:

There’s another thing: setting the name for the payee. At the moment this is left up to the payee: you aren’t prompted for a name when creating the payment link. The problem is that you’re trusting the payee to enter something useful like their name, rather than something meaningful to them (“HSBC current” for example) and not to you.

I’d prefer to be able to set the name shown for the transaction myself.

7 Likes

I’m hoping with the new implementation of contacts/payees mentioned in the “Making Monzo: Add Payees Easily” thread there will be a way to merge and edit payees so this shouldn’t be a problem down the line :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This would also help with remembering which pending payment was which.

2 Likes

Thanks for the amazing feedback @sde1000! :hot_coral_heart:

:point_up: We discussed this approach. Doing this would require significantly more engineering work and push the Labs rollout to January. It’s not off the table yet.

:point_up: Yep it’s coming. Regardless of the first feed item affecting your balance or not, it will show you the status, link, and give you the option to make some changes/cancel that pending link.

:point_up: Working on it!

9 Likes

It’s bad bad bad UX that the “Join Monzo” button is highlighted as the apparent default option when receiving. Dark pattern almost.

This is a feature for sending money to people who don’t have Monzo, not recruiting them to open an account.

I already generally get baffled responses when I send someone a Monzo.me link, this is just going to lead people to think they need to sign up to get their money.

25 Likes

Yup, this :point_up:and the long URL would definitely put me off using it.

3 Likes

I agree with @sde1000, this would by far be my preferred option (money leaving immediately). If it’s possible to do this work and then ‘upgrade’ the feature in Labs, that would be perfect. :ok_hand: :100:

10 Likes

I cannot see this I’m on latest version and a beta user

Definitely on version 2.28.1 on Android? :slight_smile:

If so, the feature lives in Labs - you’ll need to enable it before you can see the button popup in the Payments tab :smiley:

1 Like

Agree with points above.

Payments should leave immediately or show as a pending transaction. Simplified URLs would be nice too.

1 Like

Personally I think it’s great marketing. Demonstrate how cool your bank is and then offer them a button to get involved. The extra tenner is even better!

6 Likes

With you there, this would stop me using this feature with anybody that I don’t know closely and I can explain what’s going on to.

4 Likes

@anon75875116 What do you think could help the receiver to be more comfortable with using the link on their own?

Agreed. I was excited when I heard about this feature, but as it stands it just looks like I’m sending spam to friends. The ‘join monzo’ side of this really needs toning down.

5 Likes