Monzo Labs: Connected Credit Cards

The terminology of the section could do to change, yes…

But on the point of where you re-auth from you’re incorrect. The flow is you start the authentication from the bank/provider you want the info displayed in as you’re approving that app/website to have the access to your information with the other provider.

Yes that is correct however the permissions live with that Bank/Provider and not Monzo/TrueLayer.

If you wish to revoke access, you need to go to the Bank/Provider and not Monzo/TrueLayer where the data is viewable. You can delete the account in Monzo however TrueLayer will still have access until the authorisation (token?) has expired. This is OAUTH 2.0 which OB is built on.

Actually I think the permissions should live with both not one or the other.

On my Halifax account I can renew or remove the permission for my Nationwide account. On my Nationwide account I can stop sharing details with Halifax.

The point is, to renew the permissions it would be done from the provider you’re wanting the details to be displayed in so that the token is refreshed.

but the token lives with TrueLayer and not Monzo.
In Barclays it will show as TrueLayer and not Monzo… The only place to renew the token would be TrueLayer.

Just as HSBC above shows as TrueLayer and not the actual company I connected to.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Sorry about the list reverting for a little while, it should now be back to the Open Banking providers.

We saw an issue in how we were handling removing connections to banks that no longer allow us to connect via credential sharing. This should be resolved now but I’ll be keeping an eye on it and will let you know if we need to make any more changes.

Sorry for the confusion!

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say anymore…

I can see Truelayer on my nationwide app and can stop the sharing with Monzo. However the approval to reauthenticate would need to come from the Monzo app via Truelayer in the same in app flow that you added your card in the first place.

Also, this was covered in the AMA with Keiran

but this is for apps which have permission to use Monzo’s (your) data.

He didn’t mention (unless I’ve missed it) that it would contain a list of apps Monzo has access to (i.e HSBC, TSB etc).

1 Like

You’re spot on. While, as a bank, we’re allowed to connect to other banks directly, we made the decision early on in this process to go through TrueLayer. This reflects in things like how when you’re giving permission for us to view your credit cards, the bank will ask “Do you give permission for TrueLayer to view your credit cards” rather than Monzo.

Unfortunately, this also means that we’re limited in what we can do within the Monzo app as far as things like the 90 day refresh go. That being said, TrueLayer have been great to work with and I’m sure that we’ll find a way to make this refresh process smooth.

2 Likes

might be a question for TrueLayer, but do you know, now that I have connected my Barclaycard with TrueLayer, if I want to connect another 3rd party to Barclaycard who also use TrueLayer, would I have go to through the entire flow or could TrueLayer approve it as they already have permission.

1 Like

Good question! I’ll ask them for you

3 Likes

I’d imagine it would get messy if all the connections at Barclaycard said TrueLayer as you wouldn’t know which was for Monzo and which was for x.

1 Like

I have just tried to remove my Barclaycard and it’s still not working.

I did manage to connect my Barclaycard via TrueLayer so I can now see the same card twice, a bit confusing but I still remember which order they are in.

1 Like

Interesting! I’ll take a peek now. Please could you DM me the email address associated with your account?

@mycl for Barclaycard, is it possible to get the card name disabled rather than ‘Barclaycard Card’ again? It worked like this for the screen scraping.
i.e. my Hilton Honors branded card shows as ‘Barclaycard Card’. I would send a screen grab but I’ve already deleted the card from my app :frowning:

Barclays doesn’t seem to work, I get an error in the Barclaycard app as soon as I get passed through.

“FSO01 - Something went wrong! Sorry, we aren’t able to carry out your request at the moment. Please try again later.”

Tried a few times with various restarts and nothing seems to resolve it.

Edit: copying the link in the handover button and pasting that into the browser seemed to work after I logged in there. Bit of a faff but a valid workaround at least.

Yep that’s on our list!

Right now as people start to connect their cards via Open Banking we’re gathering a bit of info about how different banks format their cards’ names. If their formatting looks decent we’ll pass through the values but if they don’t then we’ll implement a mapping like we did for the credential sharing connections, but either way nicely named cards will be making a return… (Soon™)

4 Likes

Got your answer!

I’m afraid you’ll have to re-authorise again, I’ve quoted their response below:

They have to re-auth. Partly for practical reasons - right now we have no way to identify who that user is so we wouldn’t know how to share the data with the second client. But then, even if we could, I guess they would still have to prove who they are in some reliable way which would basically be like logging in to their bank again

Sorry it’s not what you were hoping for but I understand where they’re coming from

3 Likes

Thanks for the super quick response :slight_smile:

It’s going to get very messy quickly as several services (Monzo, Starling, Zopa, ClearScore, Canopy, Plum, BitBond, Emma, Anorak, CreditLadder etc) use TrueLayer.

I take it other current accounts are not yet supported?
I’ve just gone through the full connection flow with NatWest for my current account, all went through fine saying my card had been added and your balance will be updated shortly. But it hasn’t…

Yep, just credit cards for now. I’d love to make current accounts happen in the future though!

3 Likes