Monzo Labs: Connected Credit Cards

I would imagine there’s a bit of work required on Monzo’s end to enable it as a provider. I’d imagine the work on Truelayer’s side is done completely as it’s in staff testing.

It’s probably just a feature flag that needs flicking on for customers.

Making assumptions like this gets no-one anywhere. None of us have any idea if any of that is true so it’s not worth the effort of getting worked up over. Perhaps we need an X-Files category? :wink:

5 Likes

Anyone know how to get rid of a connected card/account that’s gone wrong? Bin icon doesn’t work and ‘live chat’ said they were passing me on to someone who knows more about the app, then vanished.

My understanding was that there was an industry standard for these API’s in which case if they are all the same they just work.

Or does each bank have its own version of API’s ( different structure)

Perhaps this has been mentioned already but heres my theory :male_detective:‍♂:

Amex (and other credit providers) don’t want you to have visibility on your credit spending, so that you spend more. Which, I believe, is why they will delay partnership integrations like this for as long as they can.

The reason I spend more on my credit card than I do on my Monzo CA is that I have no idea where the money goes and how much I’ve spent (until the dreaded monthly statement), it’s like a magic card that just gets me things whenever I want for “free”. But if Monzo pinged me every time I spent on my Amex and included my Amex transactions as a deduction to my CA total I would spend more wisely IE spend less, reducing the risk of me ever going past my interest free period and giving Amex my moola.

You can set Amex to give you “instant” notifications if that helps (Notifications > Purchase alerts).
Also to bug you if you go over your set spending threshold or give you an update each week on what you’ve spent.

Until Monzo builds something I can recommend Yolt which provides budgeting with Amex/Monzo. Can also show spending per category or merchant unlike Monzo.

See also

“The @monzo x @IFTTT integration means that now whenever I spend money on my Amex the value is automatically moved to my Amex pot.”

7 Likes

Sorry, but that’s a really stupid theory. Amex are one of the best for transparency of your spending - just cause you don’t check your bills doesn’t mean there’s this conspiracy that Amex don’t want to show people what they spend.

6 Likes

Thanks Phill. Unfortunately not on Android so the IFTTT won’t work for me. I use Yolt but I just find it very slow to sync.

And all I wanted was for you to think it wasn’t a really stupid theory :pensive: day ruined

Money Dashboard has recently switched my Barclaycard account over to use their open banking solution now. Just an FYI.

1 Like

What if we don’t even see this option in Monzo Labs :thinking::joy:

Search in the help articles in the app, and at the end of the article there should be a button to link cards

1 Like

Do you mean the articles on the community? Or in the app?

In the app.

Whereabouts, in the help section, :joy:

On the help tab type in the search bar ’ connect a credit card’ and it’ll be within the top few results

Awesome!! I have got it now :grin:

1 Like

Meanwhile, awaiting the Amex API release…

7 Likes

Any news when Mbna will be added

Is there a link, table or wiki of who is using open banking and those that aren’t?

This is from openbanking.org.uk

At the moment, only the UK’s nine largest banks and building societies must make your data available through Open Banking. Other smaller banks and building societies can choose to take part in Open Banking.
The banks and building societies who currently offer Open Banking are:

• Allied Irish Bank
  • Arbuthnot Latham & Co Limited
  • Bank of Ireland UK
  • Bank of Scotland
  • Barclays
  • BFC Bank
  • C Hoare & Co
  • Clydesdale Bank
  • Contis
  • Coutts & Company
  • Coventry Building Society