Monzo in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus

Does anyone have any advice or tips on card use in the TRNC?

1 Like

I’ll test this in a couple of weeks. TRNC are one of the places that ask which currency you wish to be debited in - Lira, Sterling, Euros etc. My gut feeling is to follow MoneySavingExpert’s advice and always opt for local currency. This means Monzo handles the exchange, not a random Turkish financial institution.

3 Likes

This is very true, I have not seen a comment on forums that would ever confirm that dynamic currency conversion was better than Monzo’s rate. I guess DCC can work if high street bank’s card fees are absolutely hideous, but that’s not Monzo. :wink:

We don’t have any decent reports on how Monzo works on Cyprus, so please let us know once you are back. :smiley:

I’m in TRNC at moment.
Monzo worked ok :
*in Lemar supermarket

• ATM TC ziraat bank Asia

Didn’t work:
ATM universal bank - rejected card even before requesting PIN number - friend with another uk bank card took out cash no probs

Monzo works in all the shops in northern Cyprus that accept any type of card. However Monzo doesn’t work in any ATM therefore you can’t withdraw cash from your account. There might be a ATM thats works with Monzo but I couldn’t personally find it. Lastly Monzo worked really good without giving any problems at all and anywhere I would go I would get a compliment on the card as of the colour :joy: