Monzo in the media

It doesn’t really matter now because they’re both successful but it’s really disingenuous to just leave a start up to launch your own start up in exactly the same field.

They’ve essentially stolen someone else’s idea after hearing about it.

1 Like

Not really sure you can steal the concept of a bank even a digital one, they all boil down to pretty much the same functionality just with subtle differences, it’s a free market end of day hence competitors popping up doing the same things

2 Likes

Has the NDA been nullified then? Seems a little odd that nobody would ever talk about it before and now it has several chapters in an upcoming book?

What NDA? Why would Boden have signed an NDA at all?

There are so many assumptions in these posts.

Presumably, though, if Anne is giving her account, then others involved will be free to offer theirs. And for anyone interested to make up their minds on the basis of multiple accounts, rather than just one side. Unless, of course, folk have made up their minds already?

1 Like

It’s not like they heard about it down the pub

The economic instability caused by the pandemic could trigger negative interest rates, causing banks to stop paying money out to savers, and charge people to hold money with them instead.

No… that’s not what will happen at all - negative interest rates are intended to force banks to lend because of the holding cost at the bank of England.

There is no chance that it leads to the end of the free (at the point of use) bank account in the UK.

1 Like

Are there really though? Could you show five? It just looks like a VERY reasonable discussion to me. Assuming you are referring to the posts after the mention of Annes book.

I am sure, as is generally the case, it is all a lot less interesting and involved than some imagine

Two very different people came together with a shared idea, could not quite stay on the same page, and decided to strike out on their own paths

3 Likes

I’m not saying that it isn’t. I’m not getting into games of listing stuff for you, but my point was that Anne’s book will be, by its very nature, one side of the story.

No one knows why Tom and co left. What the terms were. Who was in the wrong, if anyone. Or, Indeed, who originally came up with what idea.

I’m not taking sides, just suggesting that no one jumps to conclusions.

3 Likes

No you didn’t, you clearly stated that ‘There are so many assumptions in these posts’. And decided it would be ‘playing games’ to list the posts were people jumped to conclusions. You can’t list them - because they don’t exist! TBH I expect better of CC - making things up then being patronising when challenged about it is not OK.

Yes. And that remains true. For example, there’s an assumption that the original idea wasn’t Tom’s or one of the other people that left. And that there was an NDA.

You instructed me to list five. That’s not the way that civilised discourse works.

I listed two above. But I’m not being drawn into these sorts of games. I’m sorry if that is disappointing to you.

I’m a member on here like anyone else. My opinions aren’t better or worse than yours. Don’t use the label as a stick to beat me or the others.

I don’t think that either of those things are true.

I wouldn’t usually respond to this sort of thing, but thought that this it would be worthwhile clarifying things. I won’t enter into further dialogue about it, though, I’m afraid.

5 Likes

My feedback to you would be that it there really wasn’t anything worth clarifying for either of you and you’d have been better off to resist the urge to get the last word in.

Back to the topic, a book by Anne Bowden is surely quite niche? I can’t see it flying off the shelf but I guess it’ll generate a few articles.

6 Likes

I’m not entirely sure I get your issue with Peter here. Did they use an exaggerated choice of words? Perhaps? But I don’t think it was necessary to get caught up on them.

He isn’t wrong that some of the discussion was formed on assumption, rumour, and speculation. But then neither are you in that it makes for reasonable and interesting discourse. Macrumors thrives on the stuff, and it’s always fun to speculate, and listen to the conclusions others have formed.

All the Anne and Tom rumours just remind of Pirates of Silicon Valley. In context of that film, Anne would be Steve, and Tom would be Bill.

Likewise in the same jest, I imagine this was Anne the moment she saw Mondo on the App Store:

The reality though, is, I suspect more like @SouthseaOne suggests in that it won’t be very interesting at all.

3 Likes

As someone there early enough to hear not-so-distant-past recollections of what happened, it’s hardly “stealing someone else’s idea”.

Of course I’ll be interested to hear Anne’s take on it and how much of a resemblance (or not) it bears to what I heard, but remember - it’s just one side of the story.

Let’s just put it this way - if she’s blameless in her recollection then it’s worth taking with several grains of salt. You may well ask why 10 other people all followed Tom out the door.

And given that many/most of those people are no longer even at Monzo, it’s perhaps less interesting than it might have been a year ago.

13 Likes

Likewise if Starling was Anne’s sole idea and she recruited tom to help realise her vision, then he left, taking others with him to start a competitor, I can see how that could be construed as stealing someone else’s idea.

I don’t remember too much from the earliest days of these companies to recall if it was a joint idea or not.

I’ll look forward to hearing her side of things, either way. I hope people don’t just auto believe her version of events as the only version though, as tends to happen with the current cancel culture of social media, despite people not learning their lesson after Johnny Depp.

In any case, it’s important to always remember:

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently.

Robert Evans

7 Likes

Very well put.

3 Likes

1 Like

One of the medics in tonight’s BBC ambulance had a Monzo card , does that count as in the media?

3 Likes

I spotted hot coral in two of their phone cases.

1 Like