Monzo in the media

Interesting.

I love Monzo but with all the senior management changes in the past 6 months, I do wonder whether their hiring policy was way off or there is some internal obstacle to getting projects done.

To have the head of a revenue generating area of the business leave to an unheard of company within 2 years of joining looks pretty poor form to me.

2 Likes

I think it’s option 3 - as Monzo moves from ‘tech startup’ to ‘big bank’, the type of staff needed are different. My own observation of this changes are that ‘tech oriented’ staff are being replaced by ‘bank oriented’ staff. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Particularly in the case of making money, it reads to me as a shift from “making something work” to “making money out of something.”

I can’t see Tim Trailor’s job history on LinkedIn (as they seem to insist you log in now), but the fact he’s moved to a start-up speaks says to me that he thinks his expertise is best used in getting businesses started (or that’s the aspect of business he most enjoys).

9 Likes

Two years at a start-up is a lifetime.

2 Likes

I’m sure it is but even 2 years ago Monzo’s immediate focus/ priority was the same - making money from lending (https://monzo.com/annual-report/2018/)

This guy was unveiled as the chap who could do that (literally months after that annual report) and now he’s left without that actually coming to fruition and only a simple personal loan product having been launched in the meantime. Not a great scorecard, that’s all I’m saying.

Tom moves from CEO to new president position.

10 Likes

Hail to the chief

5 Likes

I like the idea of President Blomfield :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Wait til he decides to build a wall, and make starling pay for it

25 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

“I went through all the stuff I love about my job, and it was all the stuff I did in the first two or three years,”

Rough translation = Tom is bored as CEO of the company (and that is totally fine). Some new blood as CEO will be great for the company I think. Question is that the new CEO appears to not have UK banking experience?

2 Likes

So my question is: What is TS Anil’s profile on this forum ?

Doesn’t have one afaik. Hasn’t posted anyway

I guess only time will tell. This will speak volumes

Why? He can look without posting. Tom posts incredibly rarely. Hopefully that will increase since he’s said he wants to focus on community and talking to customers

6 Likes

I hope so. It was nice seeing someone like Tom walking around his ‘shop floor’ and taking note.

Sounds to me like Tom knows he excels at starting companies and getting them off the ground - perhaps including exploring new ideas and ventures - but that others may be more qualified to run them, or that he simply wants to spend more time doing the things he excels at.

His taking a step back from being the public face has been fairly dramatic over the past couple of years. He used to present at the majority of Monzo’s monthly events, but it’s been a long while since we’ve heard directly from him (as far as I know).

So long as he remains involved, this could well be a very positive step for Monzo, as he uses his entrepreneurial spirit to develop new ideas and propositions :+1:

And if his starts focusing on initiatives beyond Monzo, how many of us would bet against him? I’d be very curious to watch and see what happens next.

8 Likes

Monzo plus is his wall

3 Likes

Wonder which funder in this round asked for this?

5 Likes

I wonder if this will mean there’s a UK CEO role going to be hired so that TS Anil doesn’t have to do it too… :eyes: