Monzo in the media

It’s incredible what passes for news these days. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

It’s a nice, lighthearted article in the midst of all the craziness of a pandemic :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Interesting how they say “sent £15 on Monzo” as though Monzo is some different and noteworthy service, rather than just the name of a bank. They stop short of using it as a verb (“she Monzo’d me £15”), but normally you’d expect the BBC to say “sent £15 through online banking” or “sent £15 by faster payment” rather than specifying a brand.

“Sent £15 on Metro Bank”, “Sent £15 on Santander”, even “sent £15 on HSBC” - these all sound wrong in a sentence, but somehow “sent £15 on Monzo” works and many people will Google “what is Monzo?” because of it.

5 Likes

Well I mean it’s almost a verb isn’t it?

It gets used as a verb a lot on social media!

5 Likes

“Cost cutting measures”

1 Like

By the same token:

One source told TechCrunch she was most recently only working one day per week for Monzo.

Not sure what to make of that really

How strange…

1 Like

I would have thought that any Tech driven company like Monzo needs the thought leadership and strategic thinking of a CTO on a permanent basis. Obviously not!

Yeah was concerned to see that too…

Wonder if cost cutting means “cost saving” or if it actually means cost cutting

It was an employee who worked 1 day a week

I know plenty of people who work only one day a week. Thing is, they turn up for a full five days. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes
4 Likes

Spelling of “Monzonaughts” really got me :joy:

4 Likes

Be interesting to know if Monzo are going to “top up” the salary to the people’s current level or leave it at 80%.

1 Like

This has already been posted in the ‘Monzo in the media’ topic below:

For what it’s worth, Monzo’s top paid director, which may or may not be the CEO, got a pacakge of £117,000.

If that’s the CEO, that’s the salary going back into the biz.

Hope Monzo and all the staff come out of the other side of this in one piece :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think Toms on quite a few hundred thousand if not half a million.

Edit: quick search £305,000 in 2018.

Highest paid Director
Wages and salaries 139
Share based payments 166
1 Like

So the salary is £139k.

For what it’s worth though, I think it’s a great move.

2 Likes

Salary in 2018.

Salary in 2017 = £60k

Highest paid Director
Wages and salaries 60
Share-based payments -