Monzo in the Canary Islands 🇮🇨

Confirmed working at one atm and several shops both contactless and chip and pin

Just a shame the pound is so poor against the euro at the moment!

2 Likes

Imagine what it would be like if you had fees and were buying currency at the ‘normal’ buy and sell rates!

I am from Gran Canaria and I didn’t know it would’ve worked cause I always pay by cash! Thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

Ordered my card today, I’m going to Puerto Rico, Gran Canarias in a few weeks will the card work there?

I’ve moved your post here, as a few users have shared their tips in this topic already, I hope these help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, I went out there around 2 months back and the card works fine. Just remember to select Euro if prompted.

Edit: Updated the currency to select after a rather long day :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just remember to select the local currency rather than GBP. Selecting GBP uses their exchange rate, picking local currency means Monzo’s Mastercard rate applies

3 Likes

Do you mean choose GBP if I use it in shops or restraunts? Surely I must choose euro at ATM’s?

1 Like

If asked what currency you want to use to charge on the card, always choose the local currency; at outlets or ATMs.

2 Likes

Yes you’re right, yesterday was a long day for me! Thanks for the correction.

2 Likes

Try to avoid using Telebanco in Gran Canaria, their exchange rate was less than 1€ to £1

1 Like

@Keithj1968 Did they give any option to not choose dynamic currency conversion (DCC)? ATM should ask you if you’d like to use it or not. :sweat_smile:

Not using DCC, will give Mastercard exchange rate, regardless of bank’s exchange rate. Fees might still apply, regardless if person uses DCC or not. Some ATMs force DCC and won’t allow to make withdrawal without agreeing to DCC. :expressionless:

When I went to the Canaries a few months back I found I got a better rate if I opted to have the funds debited as GBP rather than EUR :slight_smile:

Yes they did. The first time I used it I didn’t know how it worked but now I do know I’ll remember every time I use the machine

2 Likes

Just got back from Fuerteventura after 2 weeks and have absolutely loved using my Monzo card. No issues at all, accepted everywhere we went to. Exchange rates were fantastic (which surprised everyone) and love just how quick and responsive the tranactions updated on my account. I have had so many enquiries on how to get a card so you will be getting quite a few applications.
I can’t recommended this card enough to everyone.

3 Likes

I’m going to Gran Canaria in June for a 2 week family holiday. How do people recommend I take travel money? Just pay using my Monzo card or take cash Euro’s with me? Or is there another preferable way? I’m planning on taking around £1000. Cheers.

I always make a point of storing some walking-around cash on a Revolut card (and Monzo for card purchases).

In the Canary Islands, just like anywhere else in Spain, there’s no problem in paying contactless or chip & pin in most places. However, the issue is with withdrawing money from most of the ATMs as they charge a fee, even to local banks if they are not their own. Any idea of a bank ATM that does not charge fees?