🇵🇹 Monzo in Portugal [Discussion]

you need to make sure you are a verified user to use the card in foreign ATMs.

The card, although a prepaid card is just the same to use as a normal debit card - i.e. can use for contactless payments or insert into POS machine with your PIN number. - always chose pay in local currency for POS terminals and ATMs - some parts of Portugal don’t seem to want to use POS terminals and prefer cash for some reason :slight_smile:

The card can be ‘topped up’ instantaneously using the app with WIFI connection from your registered debit card that you used for your initial top up - so don’t ‘carry’ too much balance on your card at any one time just in case you lose it

Always useful to carry some cash with you - which can be withdrawn from ATMs once in Portugal if you’re brave enough to trust the card and carry no cash when you leave for Portugal - I usually carry about €100 on me when I go on holiday from previous hols - you will get a better rate in Portugal rather than exchanging in UK post office travel agents etc as its commission free and gets the mastercard rate of the day when you withdraw from a local ATM

Always carry another bank card with you just in case :slight_smile:

you can find further information about Portugal by searching ‘Portugal’ using the frying pan top right of screen

2 Likes