🇲🇦 Monzo in Morocco [Wiki]

This is a wiki crowdsourced by the Monzo Community to help you travel with Monzo.

Just like Wikipedia, anyone can edit it to help out others. If you have any tips or feedback for visiting Morocco with Monzo, please feel free to edit this guide. You can also add a comment or question below — someone will then incorporate your comment into the main text below and then delete your comment. To create your own “Monzo in …” guide if one doesn’t already exist, just copy this template into a new post and write away!

Safe travels! :wave: :airplane:

Currency

Morocco uses the Moroccan Dirham.

Monzo users pay the Mastercard exchange rate with no added fees.

Change is relatively rare so whenever possible, try to break your bigger notes into smaller notes — this is much easier in large department stores and international chains.

Card usage

Debit card readers are relatively uncommon in Morocco. Some upscale restaurants and bars, as well as large supermarkets like Carrefour, will allow you to pay by card, but you should always carry cash.

ATMs

ATMs in Marrakesh, Tamraght and Agadir seem to generally support Monzo cards. ATMs are common throughout the country and any mid-sized town has at least one. They generally only dispense Dirhams but there are a few in Marrakesh that will dispense other currencies.

There are ATMs in the arrivals hall at Marrakesh Airport, but they don’t seem to support Monzo cards. You can exchange GBP in the arrivals hall.

Payment and withdrawal limits

All Monzo cards have some payment and withdrawal limits. To check yours before you leave, tap “Account” under the picture of your card and then “Spending and card limits”.

Crowdsourced merchant data

As a less popular tourist destination than many countries, the Monzo merchant data is often incorrect (eg. the map shows the wrong location or the name of the place is not correct). Please submit improvements to this data so it can get better for future visitors.

Miscellaneous

N/A

To edit this guide, just tap the pencil icon below. Alternatively, add a reply with your comments and someone from the community will incorporate your suggestions into the guide and then delete your comment.

5 Likes

Hi I’m travelling to Marrakech in a couple of months, I have just received my Monzo card can anyone tell me what it’s like using the card in Morocco just from personal experiences you have and if you have any additional advice for that would be of great help.

Many thanks,
Siobhan

1 Like

Check here;

@glasgow merge!

Hi, Just back from Morocco and used my Monzo card to withdraw money from ATMs in Marrakech and Essaouira with no problems at all.
Shopping might be a bigger problem if you go into the Medinas as the small “shops” mostly don’t take cards at all, in the new town you shouldn’t have any problems.
I also used mine to pay for food and drinks in the Compton Arms - a British Gastropub in Marrakech - I recommend paying them a visit.
Mrs Gus used hers to pay for some excursions with no difficulty, and also at one of the Argan Oil women’s co-operatives.
In short, the cards worked exactly as you’d expect them to - seamlessly.
I suggest taking some UK currency with you, and in an all time first from me - just change it at one of the booths in the airport - The exchange rate is the same as you’ll get anywhere else.

Thanks so much for all your help. I will take some UK currency, great tip :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Siobhan

You’re very welcome.
Have a great holiday, and if you do call in to the Compton Arms tell 'em Gus sent you.
If you find the Medina in Marrakech a bit too much for you (I did), I recommend an excursion to Essaouira, it’s much more laid back.

Just to let you know, one of the exchange counters in Marrakech would not accept Monzo. Luckily I had another bank card with me howevrr fees were high, so I suggest taking GBP or Euro cash to change.

Hi, Don’t use your card at the exchange counters - they are for CASH exchanges, and get a receipt.
The exchange rate at the official counters at the airport should be the same as the official rate, but unofficial counters exist and should be avoided like the plague.
Proper Moroccan bank ATMs work fine for cash withdrawals and bigger shops/restaurants also accept Monzo with no hidden charges.

I just used it at an ATM in a Bank in Essaoira, worked fine to draw currency in Dirhams, though ut charged me approx £3 as service charges if I wanted to proceed. Not Monzos fault, it’s the local ATM owner. Anyway, got instant Monzo notification in usual way :slight_smile: Awesome

I used my Monzo card in Marrakech airport, first transaction was declined then second was fine, choose savings account when prompted!