🇲🇽 Monzo in Mexico [Discussion]

(Marta) #21

Option - sure, but each time it should come with customer’s consent, as per Mastercard rules. Seems like they’ve been slapping you with DCC without seeking your permission first, which is a breach of Mastercard rules. :wink:

Also - welcome to the community, @mikebrooman! :wave: :tada: :smiley:

I’m gonna do a shameless plug of my guide:

(Mike Brooman) #22

Thanks Avishai! :wave:

I did wonder if this was the case and didn’t think I’d be the first. I was aware of DCC at ATMs but I’d never seen it on a PDQ device before. Turns out searching for “POS” and not “PDQ” could’ve avoided a n00b first post :roll_eyes::grin:

Great guide, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

(Nick Rothwell) #23

Pretty busted for cash withdrawals in Morelia, Michoacán for what it’s worth. I think I managed one withdrawal at Mexico City airport but none of the ATMs in Morelia worked, even those clearly marked with MasterCard logos. On the other hand, payments for goods, meals etc. all worked flawlessly.

(Lynda Rosas Hernandez) #24

I tried to pay something in Mexico and the card was rebected twice. Should I have notified that I was travelling to Mexico before using the card?

Mexico

Works: Santander

Does not work: BBVA & Banorte

(Brenda Wong) #26

Thank you for your helpful comment, @Tsusoup! We’ve moved it to this Monzo in Mexico wiki so it can help even more users :mexico:

(Michael Jenkins) #27

Just returned from Mexico

• Most ATMs default to magstrip, but most can read the chip and usually ask you to enter your card when the Machine realises there is only a chip

• Most ATMs charge you a fee from the Mexican banks. I found CI Banco to have the lowest flat rate charge of 17.4 Pesos approx. 70p per withdrawal.

l

(Jose Ramirez) #28

Tried my Monzo card in a retail store here at Chetumal, Quintana Roo and it was declined. But I used it at the supermarket and it went through so think it just depends.