🇩🇪 Monzo in Germany [Wiki]

This is a common occurrence. The machines are perfectly capable of undertaking this transaction, but Germans are VERY risk averse and regard foreign card transactions with great suspicion.

I explain a bit here (and another German gets quite chippy in his responses), but it’s mostly a cultural thing - Germans hate being in debt so credit cards have never really taken off, and a “card culture” never took root.

But it also has its origin in the reluctance of traders to accept ANY credit cards - because, unlike Giro/EC karte, they are charged a (small) percentage of the bill for receiving the money - the horror ! This is unacceptable to German traders, when they could have 100% of the cash. Trying to convince them that, perhaps, someone will potentially spend more money with them if they accepted cards - particularly if they didn’t happen to be carrying the cash around with them. Even shops and restaurants who do (theoretically) accept Visa/MC will try and pressurise you into paying cash. Or claim that they only accept “German” credit cards. There is also a fear of fraud from foreigners. This drives quite a few to not want to accept a card from abroad, even though they theoretically could.

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-Germans-use-credit-cards

1 Like

Since Apple Pay/Google Pay launched in Germany the acceptance of Credit/Debit Card be higher expect some very small stores still “Girocard”, a few stores in Germany begun to only accept cashless payment but it’s very rare in Germany.

Aldi Süd/South - Nord/North - Edeka - Rossmann - Dm Drogerie - Müller - Kaufland and a lot more

mostly Sparkasse - Euronet have additional atm fee for withdraw money

Recommended using the CashGroup (Commerzbank - Postbank - Hypovereinsbank - Deutsche Bank) without additional atm fee

ING - Volksbank - Targobank - Reisebank is also free of additional atm fee

A PIN change is on German ATM’s impossible.

I went to Berlin last week for 4 days and only needed to use cash once :raised_hands:, at a diner that would only take card over €30.

Has anyone used Monzo in Hamburg? How did you get on?

Going next month. :de:

I went to Nuremberg last month. Christmas market stalls were mostly cash only, but most other places including almost all restaurants in the centre took card. One restaurant out of town 2 miles was cash only though

You can use the DB app to purchase local public transport tickets. Yes, overseas debit/credit cards (including Monzo) are accepted once payment is demanded.

The DB app is indeed very good, and I have had no problems using a variety of cards to fund it (though, on occasion, I’ve been asked for the card when the ticket has been scanned).

One of the problems in Germany is that many of the DB ticket machines take only EC/Maestro cards, not credit or debit cards. Definitely use the app if you can.

For those who like to send postcards, just a warning that as at mid-2019, the post office accepts only cash from foreigners. Strictly speaking, they accept domestic debit cards (Geldkart) but non-German residents can’t have them. This is strange as years ago, I was able to use a foreign-issued card to purchase postage stamps.

1 Like