Monzo in Denmark šŸ‡©šŸ‡°

As long as he has some cash in reserve donā€™t see too much problem.
He doesnā€™t have a credit card. but will keep an eye on things.

a ā€œbunqā€ ? just trying to weigh up pros and cons of DK bank account.
[ Edit - didnā€™t realise there was such a thing. Dutch though - additional complication. ]

But noted.

If heā€™s just starting uni there you will need to consider that the prepay card scheme is very unlikely to run the full term as current accounts will be rolling in soon.

No complications. I have a Bunq account for my Italian transactions and have yet to encounter any problems.

1 Like

Good luck to your son, I also went to Uni there. I have just completed my 2 year MA programme in Odense (SDU) . If you son needs any help or advice about how things work out there let me know.

Iā€™m just back from Denmark, I had a few occasions where my wife tried to pay for things on her Nationwide Select Credit Card (no transaction fees), and the card reader didnā€™t accept it, whereas my Monzo card went through fine. We didnā€™t use any cash in Denmark at all, all electronic payments everywhere.

Several restaurants had notices saying the credit cards had a surcharge, with foreign issued credit cards having a bigger surcharge with about 3% being the biggest I saw. Itā€™s not something that I noticed being charged for my Monzo card.

1 Like

Just recently returned from a trip to Copenhagen which was extended slightly due to the bad weather in the UK. Monzo card worked absolutely everywhere with the exception of my hotel where it failed to be recognised both on the occasion where I i checked-in and the second occasion where I extended my booking due to flight cancellation. Frustrating as these were the two largest payments of the trip and incurred another Ā£25 in fees having to use another card.

Everywhere else the card was accepted without issue and we never had to draw cash once.

Spent a week in Denmark in a relatively smaller city (Aalborg) and Aarhus and the card worked perfectly with no additional charges on foreign cards/ rejections. Didnā€™t have to use an ATM at all, a first for me out of all the cities in Europe Iā€™ve been to- felt great not having to carry cash around! It worked with purchasing train tickets online too :ok_hand:t3:

4 Likes

Off to Copenhagen next week for a long weekend. Glad to hear so many good things about Monzo working so well in Denmark

1 Like

Hello all

Got back yesterday. No problems at all using the card in Copenhagen.

Hotel had a sign saying that you could not use a debit card for the room deposit. Tried the monzo card and accepted it without a problem

Only problem I had was with Norweign air on the flight home. The stewardess said they donā€™t accept the card as it is a ā€œprepayment cardā€.

After a couple of minutes explaining that it wasnā€™t, she tried it on the point of sale machine and it would not accept it. She said she had tried with a few Monzo cards and that none of them worked.

Fortunately, I had cash on me

1 Like

I am going cashless to Copenhagen on Monday and I would like to thank you all for the encouragement. :smile:

2 Likes

Looking forward to my wife and I using our Monzo cards when we visit CPN next week! If this works it will be my first cashless holiday (of many, I hope).

:+1:t3:

I would have some cash on hand for a hotdog :slight_smile:

Get a Copenhagen card too it covers travel and entry to a few places

2 Likes

Iā€™ll use the ATM for that!

By ā€œcashlessā€ I really mean I wonā€™t be touching a travel bureau before I go, and Iā€™ll be acting like I would in the UK.

2 Likes

Update -

We returned from our trip to Copenhagen a few weeks ago.

The cards worked perfectly, and when we needed the ATM the withdrawal was, again, seamless.

Copenhagen is a great city to use Monzo in, but be aware that street venders will need/expect cash (we didnā€™t, although itā€™s obvious in retrospect)! Also, as it is an expensive city you may need to ā€œbudgetā€ your cash so you donā€™t go over the Ā£200 limit on free withdrawals, as it currently stands.

2 Likes

We are just back from a mini European tour taking in Holland, Germany, Sweden and briefly Finland and used Monzo all the way, not using cash with a couple of odd exceptions. Regarding Denmark, the motorhome we were delivering to our daughter and partner in Lapland blew its turbo just short of Copenhagen and we limped into a garage in a town called KĆøge. Unfortunately the garage did not accept foreign cards (Monzo, Mastercard or Visa which we were carrying) but quite rightly wanted paying before we drove away. Our daughters partner tried to transfer funds from his bank to the garageā€™s bank but even with paying Ā£44 for a faster payment was advised this could take 1-2 days to clear compared to the 1-2 hours for Monzo. So by transferring money onto our Monzo card we were then able to make a bank transfer (Ā£1600) which cleared instantly. Big sighs of relief all round and back on the road.

2 Likes

Denmark has fairly high cashless use. Monzo worked fine. But I have a warning to those using other VISAs/Mastercards, especially those not issued from European banks: if a PIN is normally not used to verify your identity (i.e. signature-based verification), then you will have trouble using self-service tills even if your card has a chip in it.

1 Like

Those of us on the US beta have cards that donā€™t ask for PIN, so thatā€™s good to keep in mind.

I am off to Copenhagen in May so following this thread with interest.

So far, I have picked up that I may not need to use an ATM for any actual KR as there appears to be minimal need for physical cash. Sounds good to me :grin:

1 Like

Went to Copenhagen in September, and everywhere takes card. I took out 200 DKK (about Ā£25) cash, but didnā€™t go anywhere that was cash only

2 Likes

Iā€™m off to Copenhagen end of Feb and going to try and just take my card. Hopefully all will run smooth!

2 Likes

Just back from Copenhagen. No issues with no cash. Ā£4.05 to get from the airport to the city on the train, one of the few bargains in Copenhagen.

2 Likes