Monzo in Croatia šŸ‡­šŸ‡· [Discussion]

Do you remember which ATMs donā€™t accept Monzo cards so people can look out for them next time?

I had problems getting it accepted in stores when I visited last year since they either didnā€™t take card or had an error message, but I used it at all ATMs (even in non-touristy areas) without any issue so I didnā€™t think to make a note about it.

Every ATM I tried in Split declined my card. I tried 10+. Use a regular bank card.

Thatā€™s odd, I stayed in the city centre in Split last year and there were lots of ATMs about for tourists. All of them worked fine without any charges! Wonder if there have been any changes in acceptance for foreign cards there.

Did they need magstripe turned on?

I didnā€™t have magstripe turned on and got cash out fine :+1:t3:

1 Like

Not long back from Dubrovnik and used Monzo without any trouble at all.

For some amazing pancakes and coffee, check out Dolce Vita. Try the barbecure at Lady Pi-Pi too. Unreal.

1 Like

Spent the week in Medulin. No issues drawing cash on our day visits to Pula and Rovinj. Worked with and without mag strip being activated.

There is limited contactless vendors. So donā€™t expect to use Apple pay while in this region.

so letā€™s get this straight please I am travelling to Zagreb in February if I use Monzo I donā€™t pay no charges for using the card to Monzoā€¦ do I pay charges to mastercard?

no

Thereā€™s been a few months since the posts about ATM machines in Croatia not playing nice.

Anyone been to Croatia since who can advise if things have improved? Iā€™m off to Dubrovnik and Split in June.

In Split at the moment. No problem with paying with card (occasionally need to remind them that I want to pay in Krona). But 80% of ATMs request a fee of 29.5 kr (less than 4 pounds) if you do not use the ATMā€™s conversion rate (which is horrible). 10% of ATMs charge 16 krona (about 2 pounds). 10% of ATMs are free - found my free one near the bus station from Zagrebacka banka

1 Like

Hi. I am off to Dubrovnik next week and will be trying to use my new Monzo. I am a little nervous about using it butā€¦ any tips? Is it widely accepted, is it easy to use? Any advice appreciated. Cheers

I was there a couple of weeks ago and had no issue at all with acceptance of the card.

Some banks charge you too use their cash machines, so if you need cash just be careful as it might get Ā£2 charge for withdrawal.

Cheers for this, much appreciated

1 Like

Recently went to Rabac in Croatia. Monzo card accepted in various shops. Didnā€™t try the ATM as there wasnā€™t a need to. However the Monzo card was rejected on Norwegian Airlines flight as a means of payment.

iā€™m currently on a road trip through europe, currently in Croatia and havenā€™t had any issues anywhere cash or purchases.
also been absolutely fine in France, Belgium, Germany, Czech republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria & Slovenia so far.

although i have now hit my free cash limit so moved onto a starling card for cash, but still buying everything on monzo, which is 95% of stuff.

and yes Croatia is the only place Iā€™ve been charged for cash withdrawls 29.5HRK which is current;y Ā£3,69, but still multiple times cheaper than accepting their crappy exchange rate. havenā€™t worked out which machines are free or not. havenā€™t been charged in any other country yet though.

Can I use monzo in petrol stations in croatia

Hi all,

Just booked Croatia for August.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with Monzo over there?

Also, does anyone have any knowledge ont he price of eating out/beers etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Already a thread for this (@coral-crew merge?)

1 Like

I have used Monzo in Croatia a few times, most recently Split in September.

Monzo works absolutely fine out there, no issues.
Most places accept card paymets and they do use contactless in most places, however when you tap your card the machine asks for your pin also.

Prices for eating out are generally very good! Especially if you stay off of the tourist areas.

Where in Croatia are you going?
Beautiful country! Hope you have a great time!