Monzo for Android - Teardowns & Deep Dives šŸ‘Øā€šŸ’»

Thanks Erin, this is the case.

Previously, we were going through a series of checks in the app to display the card design (e.g. checking if youā€™re an investor, or if this is your joint account etc).

Now that we have more card types, it made more sense to rely on a card design ID that comes from the backend because:

• thereā€™s less chance weā€™ll get the logic wrong in either client
  • itā€™ll match the card that you actually have
20 Likes

Itā€™s nice when the actual devs come on and give us info :muscle:

6 Likes

Oooh. App redesign? New summary and budgeting? Or maybe version 3 is for business accounts.

Look forward to seeing whatā€™s coming!

3 Likes

Does this mean (if I ordered new cards for my Personal and ā€˜myā€™ Joint account) that ā€œINVESTORā€ would be shown on both physical cards?

1 Like

Yay! Feature flags are back! They were always my favourite part of the Teardowns.

The three things I can think of are:

• Buisness account full release.

• Official ā€œMarketplaceā€ release - Marketplace section in the app Android and perhaps full release of energy switching.

• Redesign of Payment and Account Tabs full released - the most disappointing of the three but I think the changes are significant enough to change the version number.

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid not. The Investor mark is not displayed on any physical joint account cards. Itā€™s only displayed on personal cards.

And now the app is reflecting the physical cards, itā€™ll just display Joint Account.

1 Like

I donā€™t think the joint account cards have an investor variant. So if you reordered cards for each of your accounts:

• your personal account card would have INVESTOR
  • your joint account card would have JOINT
4 Likes

Thanks for the input. I suspect a change. Single images of cards, mimicking the physical card you had, were being used to display in the app. Which worked until beta 2.42.0 (Android).

Now it seems from 2.42.0 the card displayed in the app is built using several overlays, of which several are available and all seem to, or could, overlap very nicely. In other words - lots of combinations of card colours and types. Just 9 small overlays give the following 32 possibilities;

(Youā€™ll have to wait for the metal one :wink:)

Monzo-Card-Combos

With present and upcoming options of Personal, Joint, Investor, Plus and card colour I suppose my question is just how layered Monzo are planning to take each user/account - using status flags - to issue the desired physical card and display the same identical card(s) in-app?

7 Likes

The current iOS app is v2.41, so a major refresh could well be expected for v3 - payments tab, account tab, marketplaces - any or all of those might be coming :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

My bet: new Pulse and Summary - and Accounts/Payments changes completed.

3 Likes

Perhaps also the introduction of the Monzo Carousel:

Carousel
Not sure if it will replace Pulse though since this picture shows the state for first-time users.

I think thatā€™s just a method for introducing new users to Monzo features. Itā€™s not a Pulse replacement.

2 Likes

Looks like it will be there for everyone:

Weā€™re exploring a new way to communicate to people in the app about all the new things, including features and updates. Currently we send you a feed item, but we want to make your feed the home for your transactions, and improve how we announce new things.

Hmm, letā€™s see how this pans out.

(I can see the benefit for new users, but Iā€™m not here for the replacement of essential account information with new product announcements).

1 Like

I think it would be useful for product announcements if it disappears when all the announcement items are dismissed.

Version: 2.43.0 :tada:

Changes:

<string name="bill_split_cancel_edit">Done</string>
<string name="bill_split_delete">Cancel Bill Split</string>
<string name="bill_split_edit">Edit</string>

<string name="split_bill_delete_confirmation_confirm">Cancel Bill Split</string>
<string name="split_bill_delete_confirmation_message">This will cancel the request for the others to pay you back.</string>
<string name="split_bill_delete_confirmation_title">Are you sure you want to cancel this bill?</string>

Cancelling bill splits :hot_coral_heart::boom:

<string name="categories_charity">Charity</string>

<string name="pot_charity_donation_toggle_desc">Send balance at the end of every month</string>
<string name="pot_charity_donation_toggle_title">Donate to charity</string>

<string name="pot_detail_charity_item_subtitle">Sending balance at the end of every month</string>
<string name="pot_detail_charity_item_title">%s</string>
<string name="pot_detail_charity_title">Donating to charity</string>

<string name="pot_donate_to_charity">Donate to charity</string>
<string name="pot_donate_to_charity_description">Weā€™ll donate the full balance of your Pot to a charity of your choice at the end of every month. Weā€™ll notify you before each payment and you can stop it at anytime.</string>
<string name="pot_donate_to_charity_header">Choose a cause</string>

Charity pots are coming soon! :boom:
I know we knew this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but itā€™s awesome to see it showing up in the app already :blush:

<string name="pot_class_interest_title">For earning interest</string>
<string name="pot_class_regular_title">For putting money aside</string>

Thereā€™s those new type titles :smile:

<string name="home_menu_notification_center">Notification Center</string>
<string name="home_menu_view_all_accounts">View all</string>
<string name="home_menu_view_profile">Profile</string>

Notification center sounds pretty sweet :grin:

<string name="identity_document_name_application_registration_card">application registration card</string>

<string name="idv_document_app_reg_id_message">"You can open an account with your application registration card. But because it's not considered as strong a proof of ID as a passport or driving licence, we'll have to give you lower limits on things like payments and cash withdrawals. If you have another type of ID, like a passport, we recommend you use that instead."</string>
<string name="idv_document_app_reg_id_negative">Continue with this ID</string>
<string name="idv_document_app_reg_id_positive">I have another ID</string>
<string name="idv_document_app_reg_id_title">Do you have any other ID?</string>

<string name="idv_document_type_answer_app_registration_card">Application registration card</string>

Seems that Monzo are accepting a new form of ID, it comes with tighter limits but if it allows more customers to open accounts I think itā€™s a win :star2:

<string name="premium_subscription_section_payments_autorenew_title">Auto-renew when plan ends</string>
<string name="premium_subscription_section_products">Whatā€™s included</string>
<string name="premium_subscription_section_products_cost">+ %s a month</string>
<string name="premium_subscription_subtitle">Manage</string>

Monzo premium additions :tada:

<string name="purchase_monzo_add_extras_suggest">Suggest custom features</string>

<string name="purchase_monzo_plus_product_coming_soon_footer">You can add these at a later date</string>
<string name="purchase_monzo_plus_product_coming_soon_title">Coming soon</string>

<string name="purchase_monzo_suggest_hint">Permission to think outside the boxā€¦</string>
<string name="purchase_monzo_suggest_submit">Submit</string>
<string name="purchase_monzo_suggest_thanks">Thanks!</string>
<string name="purchase_monzo_suggest_thanks_back">Back to custom features</string>
<string name="purchase_monzo_suggest_title">Suggest custom features</string>

Now with the ability to suggest custom features :tada:

Deep Links:

<string name="deep_link_manage_loan">manage_loan</string>

We got one :laughing: monzo://manage_loan :sunglasses:

Assets:

New! :tada:
(Separate post :eyes::tada:)

Feature Flags:

No feature_flags this week :sob: Iā€™m still not rooted now that Iā€™m on Android Qā€¦ Thereā€™s no way for me to access the super secret feature_flags file :frowning:

Thereā€™s another post to followā€¦ Stay tuned :wink:

5 Likes

Did somebody sayā€¦ Account closure? I sure hope not :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
But if they did, thereā€™s now a great deal more info than there was before :slight_smile:

<string name="check_email_didnt_get_email">I didnā€™t get my email</string>
<string name="check_email_image_magic_link">An envelope</string>
<string name="check_email_magic_link">It has a magic link thatā€™ll sign you in to Monzo</string>
<string name="check_email_open_mail">Open mail app</string>
<string name="check_email_sent_email_check_your_email">Check your email</string>
<string name="check_email_tap_link_confirm_email">Tap the magic link inside to confirm your new email address.</string>
<string name="check_email_we_just_sent_an_email">"Weā€™ve sent an email to:
%s"</string>
<string name="check_email_we_just_sent_an_email_fallback">Weā€™ve sent you an email</string>
<string name="close_account_are_you_sure_body">Once your account is closed, you wonā€™t be able to move money in or out, and your card will stop working. Youā€™ll also miss out onā€¦</string>
<string name="close_account_are_you_sure_footer">"%1$s Instant payment notifications
%2$sļø Easy spending abroad
%3$s Budgeting tools
%4$s 24/7 customer support"</string>
<string name="close_account_are_you_sure_title">Are you sure?</string>
<string name="close_account_chat">Chat with us</string>
<string name="close_account_chat_body">Our customer support team will be able to help you close your account.</string>
<string name="close_account_chat_title">Chat with us to close your account</string>
<string name="close_account_moving_body">"You might be able to use the Current Account Switch Service to move your money and payments (Direct Debits, standing orders and bills) over, and close your Monzo account.

Talk to your new bank to see if theyā€™re part of the scheme before closing your account."</string>
<string name="close_account_moving_title">Moving to another bank?</string>
<string name="close_account_need_to_do_body">If youā€™d still like to close your account:</string>
<string name="close_account_need_to_do_bullet_1">Withdraw any money left in your account, including Pots</string>
<string name="close_account_need_to_do_bullet_2">Pay back any money youā€™ve borrowed, like an overdraft or loan</string>
<string name="close_account_need_to_do_bullet_3">Resolve any transaction disputes</string>
<string name="close_account_need_to_do_bullet_4">Move your Direct Debits and scheduled payments to your new bank</string>
<string name="close_account_need_to_do_bullet_5">Settle any payment requests or Shared Tabs</string>
<string name="close_account_need_to_do_bullet_joint">Get consent from the joint account holder</string>
<string name="close_account_need_to_do_joint">"
Get consent from the joint account holder"</string>
<string name="close_account_need_to_do_title">What you need to do</string>
<string name="close_account_next">Next</string>
<string name="close_account_ready">Iā€™m ready</string>

Monzo clearly want you to stick around :wink: (I donā€™t blame them :laughing:, itā€™s the best bank in the world (Jeremey Clarkson voice :joy:))

However, if you decide itā€™s time to move on - thereā€™s a nice new flow within the app :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Assets :framed_picture:

As I eluded to:

There are plenty of additions this week :grin:

image image image image image image image image image image

Whew! Thatā€™s a boat load of assets :joy:

Some Hot Chip additions :hot_coral_heart:, a preview sign (for the v3 UIā€¦ :eyes:, itā€™s wild!!) Thereā€™s Charity icons (the little ribbon) and a charity category :raised_hands:

Thereā€™s warnings for account closure, a notification center, warnings, errors, etc. very cool stuff :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Cmon Marcusā€¦ you cant tease me like that :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

Aw man, you gotta give us something about that. Doesnā€™t have to be screenshots if there are any but a vague idea of what it will affect would be cool! :laughing: