10 Likes

It has come up before, wonder what it will look like once done :eyes:

2 Likes

“What do you think of the word frauded?”

“Could you please use it in a sentence…”

“Some of our customers are sometimes frauded”

“Thanks for seeing me today”

8 Likes

Why can’t Harry write it instead of hiring another writer to write it? Surely we are talking a few lines of simple English and not the complete works of Shakespeare?

This is not coming :soon:, is it?

This isn’t coming :soon: at all :unamused:

1 Like

Time.

Harry, I’m sure, is perfectly capable of writing. But with a company the size of Monzo, you simply cannot have one person write everything. It’s neither realistic nor achievable.

4 Likes

We’d never get anything done :joy:

I think i need to do a writing course, because my post above was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, however it appears i may have come across as genuinely complaining about Monzo hiring someone :sweat_smile: I’ll get my coat…

4 Likes

:coat: :lab_coat:

Which would you like?

:sweat_smile: jk.

2 Likes

I wonder what this product will look like. A rich partnerships sort of thing or more open to any provider with an API. I also wonder how it will integrate with budgeting; whether they will let you make projections in different directions for different savings rates, and that sort of thing.

1 Like

Little known fact: Harry actually ghost writes all Monzonauts’ forum posts.

(He’s being experimental with his @Carlo1460 persona).

5 Likes

Given it appears to be something they’re building, neither.

I suspect, and hope, it’ll be an entirely in house thing. No third parties.

Given they were recruiting a General Manager for it, I would also infer it’s going to be (hopefully) in house, perhaps not too dissimilar to other Stocks & Shares ISA offerings?

Be interesting to see how and when this pan’s out :eyes:

1 Like

It has come up before, wonder what it will look like once done :eyes:

I have seen it, it’s really nice :eyes: Monzo’s aim is to make money work for everyone, and that includes everything from paying off debt, to budgeting, all the way up to investing. Only about 2% of people invest in the UK (this figure changes dramatically depending on the study lol), so a part of this is teaching people how to invest and the why to invest :pray:

Hence the job advert for a writer, an expert communicator to help this mission succeed :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Does this mean a prototype (or even The Product) had been built? That’s faster than I expected!

I think you’re forgetting all the people who have a massive “investment” in their house price :rocket::rocket::full_moon:.

But it’s arguable about whether property (especially the one you live in) should be considered an investment. Arguably, the disproportionate increase in house prices over wage income is part of our current economic and housing woes…

1 Like

But it does form part of my net worth. So on that basis you could argue to include it.

It depends what this product does.

I haven’t bought a house for the same reasons I’d buy £1000 in BTC, but long term, the reason I’m buying and not renting is because I’m ‘investing’ in my future.

Hence my scare quotes :wink:. In an absolutely pure sense it is of course. If you own, say, a £400k property you can sell it and realise the capital as cash, and do whatever you want with that cash. However, in practise this is almost never the case. If someone owns a property in place X, most often they don’t want to move to place Y arbitrarily - the vast majority of the time they do want to stay in place X, especially once they are at the stage of life where they have accumulated a large equity investment in said property in place X (kids’ schools, workplace, friends, culture, …). So the reality is that people don’t realise that “investment”.

A better way to think of housing is in a discounted cashflow analysis fashion. It’s best thought of as a set of future rent payments to your self, at mark-to-market rental rates. Fully owning the house means that you don’t have to pay rent; it’s providing you a “housing service”. Of course, that’s not totally for free; houses require constant upkeep, and there are large infrequent costs that must be borne (new roof once in a while, etc.), and also all the interest on the mortgage. Add to this the fact that current house prices not just in the UK but around the world - indeed all assets - have been driven gigantically up by low interest rates (i.e. easy access to credit), and you can see that it’s much better to look at a house from a yield perspective than from a raw capital perspective.

So I’d argue that it’s an investment in the sense that you’re buying a financial instrument that pays your rent, and nothing more :smile:,

4 Likes

There is a further stage to this way of thinking (and I do agree with you in so far as you have described it). What happens when you can no longer live in the house? i.e. you are too old to look after yourself. I see it has two common outcomes;

1. you sell the property and realise the investment. at this point you have cash to provide your accommodation/care as needed (or splash it on world tours/holidays).
  2. you pass the house as an inheritance to someone else who either continues to live in the property, or realises the investment.

I have always said that I expect my parents to depart as they arrived - with nothing and so am encouraging them to realise the value of their accumulated savings/investment (property value) and enjoy their lives however they see fit. I do not expect to inherit the house, or any other significant sum of money/item of value.

2 Likes

Genuine question, is that possible?

Say your parents (and I have no idea, so just making up some numbers) own their own home outright and it’s worth £300k. How do they spend that £300k on holidays and enjoying themselves? I presume they are too old to get a mortgage now, so are there services that will effectively loan you your own money against the value of your house until you die?

As I write this I realise there probably is a service like that and it already sounds like a scam artists dream.