Exactly! The main thing that is cool about Moneybox is the roundup
feature—you can get stocks and shares ISAs and set up regular and one-off
payments into savings accounts with any bank. Plus, Monzo would have
the opportunity to deduct the round-up money in real time at the moment of
purchase, rather than keeping a tally then periodically deducting a sum of
’rounded-up’ money, which is what Moneybox does (which is psychologically
quite different). Giving you the option to assign it to a round-up pot, or
various round-up pots, would be great—you could even get notifications like
"you have saved enough in your beer pot for an extra pint!"…

5 Likes

Yes, exactly this! I was initially tempted and opened Moneybox, but then it lost all it’s charm really (and when I checked fees and did some estimations how much I’d need to keep there just to break even).

6 Likes

Same, I saw it recommended on the app store and I would definitely lose money after paying fees. It’s not worth the trouble and given how other people have feedbacked that the money takes ages to take out if you close an account it seems like more trouble than it’s worth if you’re not really invested in it

2 Likes

To be fair, a similar feature on Monzo would be just as good as Moneybox, and if it linked to Nutmeg all the better.

In essence, it’s the round up feature and investment following that I would love to see happen.

1 Like

If users want moneybox integration - give it to them. It’s that simple. I don’t know how good it is compared to nutmeg etc but the demand here is overwhelming.

The onus should be on the user to do their own diligence, but I’m sure they will make an api available to moneybox if necessary even if it is an exclusive one for their access only.

I think you might be overstating how simple it is to provide API access to Moneybox :wink:

Given how critical the marketplace (which will be built on the API) is to Monzo’s business model, I’m sure that they would have only taken the decision to put development on hold if it was going to take a significant amount of development -

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

I understood that Monzo are delaying their api for the reasons outlined in the blog, but there is nothing from stopping them releasing an api (bespoke or not)for the purpose of moneybox integration if it was commercially viable.

I wasn’t aware the marketplace was dependent on the API, as monzo would be implementing APIs of their partners to integrate them given that functionality intends to be in-app. The api would only be necessary for sharing data outwards of monzo to third parties.

1 Like

I’ve checked the blog now & it looks like I should point out a big caveat for my comments - clearly the first integrations will be built on the internal API (TransferWise’s & by the look of it, Nutmeg’s) while the open API is being developed. Once it has been, my assumption is that the marketplace will be built on it (but that’s not actually mentioned in the blog posts), as Monzo will want to monetise it & presumably that would make it easier for developers to build their integrations. But now we’re heading back to our closed marketplace vs open discussion :wink:

The point I was (not very clearly) making was that if the open API’s that hard to build, then presumably integrations that’re built on the internal API aren’t that easy either. But to be fair, the open API obviously needs to handle a much wider range of requests & will probably be harder to secure etc. :thinking:

As someone not overly savvy with technology, just wondering how close moneybox, or a similar feature, was to being integrated?

It’s not something we’re actively developing as far as I’m aware.

Partnerships are being investigated with lots of different companies - including Moneybox, but you won’t see anything under our current prepaid Beta. Partnerships will follow the current account launch.

6 Likes

Moneybox app integration is now live on Starling iOS today and Android tomorrow

1 Like

i actually signed up for this its pretty awesome! i got curious since everyone seems to love it. I really like how i dont have to do round ups i can just set up a regular deposit and do one off contributions as well. i will be very excited to have this set up against monzo when we have current accounts :heart_eyes:

Monzo <> Moneybox pleaseeeeee :slight_smile:

1 Like

would love this support.

Welcome to the community.

There’s lots to read and lots to contribute!

1 Like

Money box connectivity would be good

looks like moneybox are lining up their shills again

Lots of new users from Moneybox today!

Hi @rikr - Welcome to the Monzo Community!

2 Likes

Moneybox integration would be great. Moneybox should get on that using the monzo API as soon as it’s available.

2 Likes

Yes agreed. I wonder if they are aware it’s not available yet?

Hey Moneybox fans/staff/etc - API support it’s coming, but not yet - https://monzo.com/blog/2017/05/11/api-update/

1 Like