Monetising customer data

Yes, the last Sentence is more to what i am proposing.
I probably did not use the right term - yeah Monetising brings in Regulators and scares of Customers.

What i am saying is , we have lot of customer data … and NPI/MNPI are strictly off the table, only PI.
So how can we use PI.
Create a Platform for connecting Products(Financial/Non Financial) to Monzo’s Customer in a discreet way.

Could you explain what NPI and MNPI are, please?

1 Like

So you want Monzo to discreetly target ads at their customer base? That’s exactly how Facebook began to lose users but it is something I expect from social media websites, not my bank…

God. I hope no one from The Times is reading this. They’ll be producing another false click bait article.

6 Likes

I feel the same and would hope that Monzo don’t ever do this :flushed:

I don’t think it is possible to harvest public data either. Not without any accuracy anyway. The only reason Facebook can do this is because people voluntarily give them data.

Lets Take an example ,
Adverts Post Add Freely on a Platform.( Some basic data they enter for us to apply Machine learning/AI)
Monzo Rule Engine/Filter engine will Pick Adds which are relevant to us , as monzo know what demographics it has, how much over all customer spends a month on fmcg, white goods.

Once this is done, a Rest Service will pick the advt data and post it to Monzo side of DB , the products.

Now a Rule Engine which is internal will run as per Specific customer , if they have signed up for Proposed interest tab and post that advt on that Tab in a non intrusive way.
Each advt would have a unique GUID one posted on Customers interest tab to trace it back to claim money from when eventual product trans action happens.

Non Public Info / Material Non Public Info.

These are the classification of data that can uniquely identify the user.

Non public info and data that can uniquely identify users is also pretty heavily regulated since GDPR. Not to mention how many people would not be comfortable with their bank (lets remember that Monzo is officially a bank now) harvesting personal information to target advertisements?

1 Like

Yeah if this ever happens I’d be switching my ass outta here.

9 Likes

There is also this thread: Can you stop being desperate with the £10 referral bonus?

129 replies in one day, most of them annoyed with three mentions of a referral bonus. Could you imagine the reaction to targeted advertisements?

I don’t mind Monzo using data that I provide them (plus my credit report) to target me with services they provide (i.e. notice i spend money at National Lottery so remind me that gambling block is a thing) but anything more than that is a no from me.

3 Likes

Yes that’s why i am Saying we would not be using MNPI/NPI data.
It uses only PI

I am not proposing using Individual data. AM saying Group data, Like we have 20% customer in a certain age group, who might need some skills training, it would be good for them to know from our advt platform rather than 3rd party. Just a value add to our customer to increase stickiness.

@anon99402360 @Ordog , if you see the diagram closely , we are not sending any customer data to outside world, we are using the group customer data to identify products
which can help our customers do things in a better way and get valid discount being part of a vibrant Monzo Community.

I would prefer Monzo to remain a bank rather than a social network. The “marketplace” feature is fine because it directly relates to my finances.

I don’t mind Monzo having a marketplace (that I have to click on, I don’t want a pop up or push notification). As long as the marketplace has things like “Electricity deals” or “mobile phone deals”. I don’t want things like “hey want some training”, “hey get a free sausage roll”.

3 Likes

There has been the discussion of a Marketplace which is similar to what you’re proposing. Instead of adverts they tell you if your insurance could be cheaper, for example.

3 Likes

Tom said specifically we need to be Smart Bank, and i think this distinguishes and provide USP and work to provide visibility to the brand(Currently what we have is excellent).

I used Just eat the other day, in my Barclays transaction list, it reminded me I could have got cashback through them.

I don’t mind things like that, its actually reminding me I was silly and could have saved something. But that is using my data to offer me something I wasn’t using, it was enhancing my experience, so next time I would be saving money.

That is smart banking, its not pushing money making things, its actually encouraging me to consider using Barclays more.

3 Likes

This is a good example and what marketplace should hopefully be like eventually.

I would also like to see Monzo partner with companies like Tesco or something, when you use your monzo card it automatically gives you Clubcard points? I feel like it would be awesome if you could do stuff like that.

PI data is still subject to GDPR. ANY data, in part or in full, that can be used to identify a data subject can only be used if it the means, purpose and legal basis has been established and published to the data subject.

So the idea that PI data can be used in an arbitrary fashion is incorrect.

The idea to use data about customes and their spending habits to serve targeted ads is pretty privacy intrusive and since there has to be a mechanism to opt out of any such use I can’t see anyone wanting to take part.

I think it’s a horrible suggestion.

I know this stuff as I’m the DPO for a large business.

T

1 Like

:money_mouth_face: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: