Mobile Providers

If you pay your phone in two parts IE O2, vodafone and Three are/soon will be offering this, only your price plan will go up for your tariff, not your 0% (in most cases) device plan.

Be shady af if they also increased the loan plan from 0% to 18+%.

It’s a total con, and why ofcom ever allowed it is beyond us.

I own my Pixel 6 Pro, have an £8 - 40gb O2 SIM and also waiting to hear of my increase but I can’t imagine it’ll be too much more, I do also run a smarty SIM which won’t increase.

1 Like

I believe that is how it works already – I am sure I have seen it mentioned that only the airtime part of a plan can increase, any device repayments can’t.

Don’t ask for source though

3 years is becoming standard…

1 Like

I recently decided to pay off the last 8 months of my EE contract because I expected about a 10% rise in my monthly tariff cost due to inflation, its now predicted to be 14.4%. As this would push my contract over £100 (from the £85 contract I originally got. It went to £92 last March). It was cheaper both to Flex now the remaining part of the contract, and get a Smarty sim with more data costing per month on top for the next 8 months.

It will be interesting to look at how the regulator deals with mid-contract rises in its investigation.

1 Like

The regulator seriously isn’t all that interested, it’s lip service at it’s best. They’ve known this has been going on since time began, they could of investigated and stopped it an eon ago.

1 Like

I can see why you’d think that, but I don’t think it’s something we should stand for. The regulator is funded by taxpayer money, to protect taxpayers. It should either do its job or be scrapped. We shouldn’t put up with anything else.

I get that the wheels or bureaucracy turn slowly, and I’m willing to forgive that, but ofcom must do its job.

1 Like

It depends how much value you get out of your contract, i’m on 60GB Data with EE for what will be close to £20 a month sim only, but for that, I get a good speeds mostly everywhere and I get a smart benefit, worth £10 or there abouts, that EE “pay” for, other providers wouldn’t give me the benefit month to month and only give you it for 6 months, or 2 years in the case of vodafone

1 Like

They won’t though, regardless of what end users think, they could of done this at any point in the previous X years, they haven’t, ofcom don’t care

1 Like

17.3%

Fortunately I only pay £8, which takes me to £9.39ish.

Still, companies shouldn’t put these inflation rates on the customers if their business is in profit.

They can fuck off with those increases…

2 Likes

The EE Community forum is rife at the moment:

Re: Disgusting Price Increase! - Page 5 - The EE Community

It may get to a point where it is cheaper for me to move to O2, than stick with EE Sim only, really depends how much value you see in your service

I’m pretty much stuck with EE because it’s the only decent signal around here. I’ve still got 5 months of my contract left but I’m going to request a PAC anyway. That has usually prompted a phone call from their retentions department with very cheap offers, even while in contract.

2 Likes

They’re not supposed to call you if you request a PAC through text, but I have had Three call me after requesting a PAC via text before

2 Likes

I’ve had both EE and Vodafone call me after requesting a PAC via text. Vodafone’s offers were ridiculously cheap. Unfortunately Vodafone is pretty bad around here and even worse in other places that I spend a lot of time.

Vodafone is pretty bad everywhere in my experience unfortunately

I’m going to EE today to get my eSIM sorted, I may ask what deals they have. I doubt they’ll beat £17 though for 60GB data I currently get. It claims it’s meant to be £23 a month in the app, but I get a £9 loyalty discount (£14), the extra comes from the price hikes over the last 2 years

Completely disagree about Vodafone. Not had an issue with Voxi who are Vodafone. It will just depend on where you go. Three is terrible for me but will be pretty good for other people.

4 Likes

Me and my Mrs will be dropping EE in October when our contracts are up, prices have become a joke. Will be moving to Voxi or something.

1 Like

I’m with Voxi and get 40 GB for £10, plus unlimited social media data, and at the moment, unlimited music streaming data due to 6 months free offer.

The 40GB was a Black Friday offer I think, but their normal prices are pretty good anyway.

2 Likes

We’ve been with EE for 8 years so bit panicky about how to move our numbers over, would be a massive issue if it messed up somehow.

I’ve switched providers a few times and it’s been pretty much seamless every time.

1. Get a PAC from old provider
  2. Sign up for new service with new provider (you’ll briefly get a new phone number with the new provider)
  3. Give your PAC to the new provider

That’s it. They’ll give you a switch date. Your old number will replace your new temporary number. Cancellation of the old account will happen automatically.

1 Like