Mobile Insurance Chat šŸ“²

I think the screen is fine (considering itā€™s a high-resolution OLED screen and includes the sensor/camera array), the really ridiculous thing is that the glass back (which is just as fragile as the screen itself) falls into ā€œother damageā€ and is 556Ā£.

Yeah thatā€™s why Iā€™m recommending the pot idea, plus if you donā€™t break your phone you get to keep the money towards your next phone, where as with insurance thereā€™s no way to take the money out (outside of insurance fraud and even then, you still need to sell the replacement device to actually get cash).

I think thatā€™s the problem with insurances: That people often buy them when they shouldnā€™t.

We can thank the salespeople who will mis-sell it just to get their commissions, and their employers who set their base salaries so low they canā€™t afford to live without commissions. Just the other day as I was picking up a phone from Argos the salesperson was shilling some insurance, but she didnā€™t even do a good job at it, couldnā€™t even tell me the excessā€¦

Hey all, Iā€™ve just moved all of the mobile phone insurance chat out of the #fullmonzo thread to here.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Apologies for going off topic so badly!

Not to worry, itā€™s a really interesting topic.

I recently got a bit annoyed about my phone insurance after it turned out they wanted me to send my phone in to see if they could repair it, before sending it back or dispatching a new one. Which could take up to 3 weeks. (Previously Iā€™ve had same-day replacements).

Since the whole point of having phone insurance is to make sure thereā€™s never any time I donā€™t have access to my phone, I pretty swiftly cancelled my contract. I now have to live with a slightly scuffed phone :frowning:

4 Likes

When I had nationwide insurance, I used it three times in 2 years. It was great and quick and itā€™s one thing I miss.

1 Like

Whilst most of the chat has focused on hardware, the other benefit to insurance is cost incurred as a result of theft.

Say said thief runs up a large bill on your phone before the sim is locked - insurance will cover the cost of that as well as the handset

This is of course using the assumption that most users dont have a sim pin as well as the phone pin/finger print ID/facelock

I assumed carriers were liable for this? I remember some Ombudsman cases about it.

I donā€™t have direct insurance on my phone or laptop - sure they are covered by home insurance but the excessā€¦
I used to have insurance on my EE contract phones which was good enough but I just buy my phones used off eBay at a discount so I never really see the point. My laptop is a Thinkpad so it is fairly indestructible and if it ever got stolen Iā€™d be happy enough knowing that everything was encrypted and the hardware totally useless as a result of the security settings :slight_smile: Karmaā€¦!

2 Likes

I assumed carriers were liable for this?

Going by this page Ombudsman Service

As long as you notify them within 24hrs theyā€™ll cap charges, but you still could be liable for some.

1 Like

Itā€™s actually a very bad idea to have a SIM PIN, as it prevents the phone from having network access should it restart for whatever reason, so you wonā€™t be able to locate or erase the device remotely anymore.

1 Like

Except on a dual sim phone where you can lock the pay monthly sim but leave a PAYG sim unlocked!

2 Likes

Just amazed at the number of people who have faith in insurance coā€™s and their products.

House, check, loss would be ruinous and itā€™s not expensive to insure.
Car, check, itā€™s a legal requirement.
Travel, perhaps, depends where you visit.
Anything else, self insure or prepare to be milked by these charlatans - pension anyonešŸ˜ˆ

2 Likes

my boss some years ago used to buy his house insurance by cheque each year. One year he put off renewing to save a bit of cash. One day his kids rang and said the house had burnt down and he thought they were joking. They werenā€™t, so he was uninsured. It destroyed his relationship and decades later he had not recovered from the fallout of the repercussions. He still owes his bank money for the house, money that would otherwise have been paid out by his insurance.

Yes - Iā€™ve witnessed something similar. Some insurance is good value, much isnā€™t IMHO.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got phone insurance from revolut. Ā£1 a week for a brand new Huawei p20 pro. Ā£35 excess. Took about 1 minute to set up.

I tend to agree with you, and my general approach is to only insure stuff that can ruin me, or a loved one (house, car, health [not an issue in the UK], travel, life).

I have for that reason long avoided mobile insurance, and I still donā€™t think Iā€™d take it out in its own. However, bundled with my bank account it provides seriously good value for money, for us: the annual fee is about Ā£20 more than I wouldā€™ve paid for our travel insurance alone. For the extra money I get breakdown insurance (which I donā€™t particularly care about: despite driving a 10 year old car I have never broken down yet, and it doesnā€™t fall into the ruinous category anyway), and phone insurance. I have two little kids, but the bigger problem is that I myself have what my dad used to call rubber hands: I drop everything all the time. The insurance has over the last 3 years saved us repair and replacement costs of ca Ā£1,300. I consider it more of a subscription than an insurance :rofl:

1 Like