Minimum Card Payment Charges

Isn’t it called Great Repeal Bill?

Completely off topic - I think its actually The Repeal Bill as you can only call something “Great” in certain parliamentary situations :slight_smile:

I have no source as to how overladen the parliamentary schedule is and the restrictions this will place on passing new legislation, as it purely based on reading various journalistic articles, and we all know they may not be the most reliable source

Yes it may be the Great (sic) Repeal Bill, you are probably right

Ahh ok, cool. Thought I had missed something.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fees for paying by card to be banned - The Guardian

It used to be the case that retailers stipulated a minimum purchase of £5 or £10 when paying by card with Chip & PIN.

I thought contactless had been specifically designed to replace cash for small payments.

I’ve noticed a few retailers specify a minimum spend of £5 when paying by contactless. Is this right? It kind of defeats the object of contactless does it not? I don’t want to carry coins or cash.

1 Like

Personally, I’ve not seen that one. I’ve only seen “Mum spend on chip & Pin, no minimum on contactless” I’ve only seen maximum of £30 contactless
I don’t know if it’s a regional thing, I’m in W. Yorks

I’ve not seen this either. Though all surcharges for card use will be outlawed from January in UK

My local garage has limitless contactless though on transactions over £30 theirs is Contactless and Signature rather than the Contactless and PIN option I found elsewhere.

Yep, bought a coffee and they wanted to charge me a 20 pence surcharge for using contactless.

How come it will be outlawed in January?

New European regulations

1 Like

Cash-only outlets are one of my biggest issues. I’m sure they have their reasons for turning away card paying customers but I can count the number of visits I’ve made to an ATM this year on one hand so once I know who they are I try to avoid them. My regular 4-weekly visit to my barber’s shop is an exception, as are our favourite Chinese / Indian deliveries :smirk:

I’m very surprised that EU regulators haven’t addressed this already given the way some EU economies are run… though I suspect it could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back in some cases.

1 Like

Thank you for that link. I’ll have a read.

Just Eat need to stop this

2 Likes

Most take-away deliveries have a minimum spend, otherwise some people will just take the piss and order a bag of chips whenever they get the munchies. No profit in that…

Yeah there is a min spend on most of the places which I understand but then there is also the 50p card charge on top.

2 Likes

Ah right, I thought you were talking minimum spend, not surcharge. Should’ve read up :slightly_frowning_face:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.