Merchant Data Corrections

And meeee :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

I think it would make sense in the short term to have a few dedicated people to the merchant data system, who can if there is no fixes to be made, transition to customer support. Once the new system for merchant data is then up and running whenever that may be, some of those staff members can then possibly migrate to customer service roles.

1 Like

This basically sums up what I was about to type. The initial problem where the system is the issue needs to be fixed rather than just throwing more people at it.
As a short term help it’s not a bad idea, unless there are some quick wins that can be made on the current system.

This does sound like the ideal solution though:

Hopefully Monzo can dedicate some time to it in the future :arrow_right:

4 Likes

My (ex) manager did this when he first joined Monzo. It is not a great experience and gets really tedious for the person involved, I don’t think it would be fair to make people just do merchant feedback reviews :slight_smile:

Just to add to what Simon has said above, there are currently no plans for a “new” system. It may be something that is reworked/rebuilt after various other projects (as we know there are issues) but there hasn’t been any engineering time to even scope this out yet

7 Likes

I’ve posted many times about how this system is dreadfully poor, and how Monzo should improve. Unfortunately to the users it appears to be falling on deaf ears.

I was surprised it didn’t even appear on the big list, and that the reasons we’re getting are that time is being spent on other things … as @anon72173902 pointed out, sometimes pointless things (#tags).

This - I fear - could be a failing that turns some people away from Monzo after they’ve used it. I know it’s making me open the app a lot less than I used to.

6 Likes

I think tags might be a false equivalence - that was a Monzo time project and didn’t take up a lot of engineering time. This is internal tooling and is built by a completely different team - they are currently working on (as Simon mentioned) our replacement for the in app chat so there is not currently capacity to work on other things.

We know it sucks and we are trying to fix it. I have spent this morning writing up new training materials to help COps review these better.

11 Likes

Thanks for the info @HughWells

Hopefully it’s something the relevant team can think about looking at once they get some of their current projects out of the way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same team or not, you have to agree with how it looks outward facing to customers? I fully understand what you’re saying - hell, I’m a developer I get it. But a lot if it is down to how customers perceive it.

Also, I’m not sure training materials will help it - I think there’s a mix of problems. There might just be too many for people to get through. That, or people don’t take it as seriously.

The coupling of the application with the cops system is probably the biggest problem. If it was decoupled, you could open it up to other people.

Surprised no one’s looked at building a better option as a Monzo time project …

2 Likes

Oh for sure I realise it’s just a hypothetical at the moment

The more I think about this issue, the more it annoys me. This is where Monzo has dropped the ball. They’ve given you this great app, with rich data. But when that data is wrong, it’s not giving off the best impression. Ultimately, it sucks. It never used to bother me, and luckily I don’t get errors a lot but when I do it is so frustrating.

To be totally honest, I don’t even submit fixes currently because I know nothing will be done. If Monzo can’t be bothered, why should I? Once we start seeing fixes coming in a reasonable time from submission, I will maybe think about providing some fixes, but not until then.

3 Likes

80% of what I’ve submiited has been fixed within a few hours besides one or two where I kindly asked @BethS :slight_smile:

Mine have been an hour or less. Submit at 1am seems to work well

2 Likes

Am I alone in really liking the tags feature?! :man_shrugging: In the absence of custom categories (which I appreciate from other posts is a whole debate in itself :grinning:), I find tags hugely helpful in identifying / reporting on certain purchases (#coffee! :grinning:)…

6 Likes

My experience hasn’t been as positive - two repeat offenders in my case who I spend with on a weekly basis at least. Both have active Twitter handles with up to date logos / information, but in spite of reporting both there’s been no change in over a month :pensive:

2 Likes

Same thing here for a load I’ve submitted.

Yeah tags are good. I use them for putting the currency on cash withdrawals. Can be interesting to compare how much you need in different countries (and at home).

2 Likes

changing cached logos is a different matter entirely :see_no_evil:

Out of interest how is Starling’s version of this performing? Does it function in the same way?

By comparison I’ve put some through last week still not actioned but might have been rejected. No idea :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Same here :disappointed: