Locked out of my a/c for the last 8 days!

Hang on. I wasn’t being sarcastic in any way, or taking my anger out on anyone else until I started being guilt tripped on here.

I repeat, once again, this is absolutely not the fault of the customer (my partner and I) It is not our responsibility to ensure our IT structure functions in a way that allows Monzo to function. Why should Monzo expect privileges other service providers don’t expect. And especially when those other service providers are established, old school banks.

And to your last point. If the Royal Mail keep losing your Amazon parcels, it maybe the Royal Mail’s fault, but it’s Amazon’s responsibility to provide a delivery conduit that works. And if Amazon are not prepared to do that, then they should expect the customer to buy what they need elsewhere.

And frankly, I’m amazed that for whatever reason you can’t seem to accept this is entirely a Monzo problem to solve. It is absolutely not the customer’s responsibility. And I would have expected them to have responded sooner than over a week after the loss of service.

2 Likes

It would if they had the full details.

“I’m locked out of my account” leads down the obvious path of getting an email sent.

Monzo should be asking earlier in the chain who/where/how you get your email. “Stuck in the hunk” is an obvious one. “Are you using iCloud?” “Yes” “There’s a known issue with iCloud and emails showing on an iPhone. Please do x/y/z”

2 Likes

I agree entirely!

Precisely!

I don’t believe anyone meant to guilt trip you, and that (per my reply just prior) this was all part of a misunderstanding between yourself and the forum. Having established this, and having the discussion come closer to the one you intended, I hope we can agree to both treat each other in good faith and draw a line under this particular thread of responses.

You’re right to identify that it is Amazon’s responsibility to provide a delivery conduit that works, as this is the weak spot in my analogy. Where because the user is supplying the contact details to Monzo, it is the user’s responsibility to provide a delivery conduit that works. I will absolutely grant, though, that it is Monzo’s responsibility to enable to user to do so as expediently as possible.

That was why I asked a question I don’t think I’ve seen you answer yet (apologies if you did and I missed it): did Monzo offer or give you the opportunity to change the email address on the account at the first point of contact?

3 Likes

:flushed:

4 Likes

I’m not even going to edit that to fix it! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You were surprised you got the answer, only after you told us the problem?

Monzo should of replied quicker but at least your wife is able to get in now and I assume if she adds it the safe sender list (which was one of the first suggestions), she will be able to view in the mail app

In answer to this specific question, no. This was only offered after an email response from Monzo today. Where the idea of checking the email address via a webmail platform, was also first raised. But as I said, this is now more than eight days after the account became unavailable.

And further to the Royal Mail/Amazon analogy. If I give Amazon and in fact everyone who needs to know, my address and everyone apart from Amazon/Royal Mail are able to successfully use that address to conduct their business, I’m not sure how or why I should be responsible for supplying a seperate address just to enable Amazon/Royal Mail to deliver. That is completely illogical and totally unreasonable.

I was surprised I got an answer after Monzo told me what the problem might be… Which I duly reported here, which then elicited a blizzard of what appeared to be, “…oh! Well why didn’t you say that?” responses. Quickly followed by; “… so the problem’s not Monzo, it’s your lack of IT skills…”

And that, understandably raised a few hackles!

Currently, with a bit of jiggery pokery and the use of several non connected tech units across several accounts, the problem has been solved. Unfortunately, the damage has been done and my partner will simply stop using Monzo and revert back to her establishment bank for her daily banking.

Unfortunately, for a ha’porth of tar the ship has been lost… Well done Monzo. But thank you for all the constructive replies that have been made here.

All due to an iCloud mail issue and not Monzo’s fault at all other than the slow response which is documented in the help to say check spam folders. The fact Apple have intercepted this spam before it made it to you partners phone is not Monzo’s fault.

6 Likes

Hang on. You’re saying it’s Apple’s fault the Monzo emails didn’t get through to the IOS device. Nothing to do with Monzo at all. They responded as they should have done by sending an email with a link. Not their problem the customer doesn’t get it? Have I got that right? Is that actually what you’re saying?

Elsewhere, someone else has made an analogy to Amazon not being able to deliver ordered goods because of a Royal Mail glitch, (of whatever kind).

My view is that’s it’s Amazon’s responsibility to provide a robust delivery platform and if they know the Royal Mail are failing to do that, then it’s Amazon’s responsibility to fix it. Not simply throw their hands in the air and say, “Hey, not our problem. We sent the parcel! Blame Royal Mail.”

Now go back and read you comment again. It doesn’t make sense does it?

The fact that Monzo were unable to inform me of where the problem might be for over eight days. (Assuming of course, this isn’t the first time this has happened with Monzo emails!) In which time the Monzo account was effectively inoperative, is possible evidence that Monzo appear to be slipping into “establishment” bank territory. And if that’s the case, I don’t need another establishment bank a/c. I’ve got enough of those already.

Correct nothing to do with monzo rant at Apple

2 Likes

An assumption I (and perhaps others) made after the first few posts in the thread was that you had checked the junk filter at the mail provider level (not only client/app level), particularly after post #6 from @RichardL. That’s perhaps why there were “of course that’s the reason” type comments after you later disclosed you hadn’t checked on iCloud.

That being said, I completely agree with Monzo customer support being inadequate here. They can’t expect every customer to know the difference between email clients and email providers (or even that it should come to mind as a potential factor to people who do know the difference). This is an issue that should have been resolved within a day via a quick conversation with customer support.

Also, they could easily improve the self-help information on this matter. This is the web-page they direct people to when login email isn’t received:

Point 3 could easily be improved by noting spam folder should be checked in both the email app/client and the webmail provider.

I do think Apple deserve criticism on this. It’s ridiculous that iCloud junk email that exists on the server can’t be seen in their own mail app. If I were using iCloud email I’d definitely switch to a different email provider, or switch to a different email client if the junk mail can be seen in other clients.

10 Likes

Indeed. And point 4 could be improved by removing the note and bullet-pointing it after point three, along with another bullet point for “If you use iCloud…”, as both the latter are subsets of the ‘check your spam folder’ advice anyway.

2 Likes

100% that needs a rewrite

2 Likes

The analogy works, but instead of your address, it’s a PO box.
Amazon → Royal Mail → PO Company → You.
Monzo → Monzo’s e-mail → Apple → You.

If the PO Company has been throwing out your Amazon packages, the responsibility falls on the PO Company and the person who chose to use them; and likewise you would raise issues with them. If you raise it with Amazon, they will have a note from RM recording a successful delivery, and can only offer to reattempt delivery or deliver to a different address.

7 Likes

If only it was a username/password to login …

3 Likes

Where would the reminder email go if you forgot one or both?

1 Like

Mmmh, and if Amazon had experience of deliveries being rejected to PO Boxes, it might be reasonable to expect them earn their customers of possible disruptions in certain circumstances.

You can twist the analogy any way you want to try and absolve Monzo of responsibility, but the result is the same.

It is the bank’s responsibility to supply an effective delivery conduit if they want to provide a service to their customers. It is not the customer’s responsibility to understand or even adapt the platform they use elsewhere without problems to suit Monzo’s inability to deliver!

1 Like