LGBT Monzo

Queer
Asexual

If you felt that way then you should of refused the extra time that was given to you. So did you refuse? :thinking::flushed::smirk:

2 Likes

Yes I didn’t take the extra time. Same as I don’t tick the disabled box for guaranteed interviews. I personally don’t find these things to be ethical.

1 Like

I think our definitions of what is ethical are rather different.

Thankfully, the law favours my view more than yours.

6 Likes

Ethical is somewhat subjective, that’s why I said that personally I don’t find it ethical. But what’s ethical differs between person and culture, so I definitely accept that other people find it acceptable as well.

The way it was worded it looked like you took the time. Do me a favour? The next time just give me your extra time if it’s offered to you. :joy::grin:

4 Likes

Worth noting that those boxes are not about ‘guaranteed interviews’ they’re about quality monitoring, the idea is to track how many applicants from marginalised backgrounds apply and then to compare that to the number who are successful etc, it’s for monitoring.

A concise if likely wrong glossary of the queer community acronyms:

Feel free to suggest corrections

• LGB/GLB is where it started out AFAIK so that pretty much always means lesbian, gay and bisexual.
  • T recognises trans people which have long been an ignored part of this community in-spite of effectively being responsible for kickstarting the civil rights movement at stonewall. Sometimes a second T refers to transsexual.
  • Q is
    • Queer, among other things nods towards for example non-binary people who’s sexual orientation isn’t easily defined as gay or straight as those are about same-sex/gender where as queer acknowledges this doesn’t really apply to non-binary people
    • Questioning, this is about allowing people to explore their identity without picking labels that might be harmful, i.e. the stereotype that bisexual men are just gay men who haven’t figure out they’re gay yet.
  • I is for intersex, people who’s biological sex is different due to a medical condition.
  • P is for pansexual, for some people this is the same as bisexuality, but most recognise that pansexuality is attraction to all genders, where as bisexuality is attraction to either/or.
    Sometimes P can refer to poly relationships or possibly marriages.
  • A is:
    • Asexual, people who do not have sexual feelings towards anyone
    • Aromantic, people who do not have romantic feelings towards anyone
    • Agender, similar to non-binary
    • Androgynous, people who appear both male and female.
    • Allies, non-LGBTQ+ people who actively support LGBTQ+ people by standing up for their needs and respecting them.
  • + is used as an encapsulation for other sexual, romantic and gender identities to keep the acronym short without excluding others.

Some less frequent variants include:

• 2 relates to two spirit in North American indigenous communities.
  • K refers to kink.
  • C refers to curious, similar to questioning.
  • F refers to friend and family, this is similar to allies but likely refers either to organisations like PFLAG (families of LGBTQ+ people), or LGBTQ+ individuals with families.
  • D refers to demisexual, someone who requires strong emotional connection before forming sexual desires.
  • GN refers to gender non-conforming, similar to androgynous.
  • GG refers to gender fluid, similar to non-binary
  • NB refers to non-binary, people who’s gender identity is somewhere between male and female and may or may not slide between the two as an expression of their current self.
6 Likes

Well that really is an eye opener. Every day is a school day!

Thanks a lot now I know what I didn’t know 5 minutes before which is a great feeling. :+1::slight_smile:

Jesus! :scream:

You’re certain to offend someone if you’ve got to remember all that :open_mouth:

Best off sticking with the classic “everyone welcome” line :laughing:

1 Like

Fun fact, you don’t have to remember any of that and no one will be offended if you are trying.

The “everyone’s welcome” line presumes everyone has the same experiences and abilities as everyone else and that’s not true. So then when we say things like that we’re presuming we don’t need to do anything to make marginalised people more welcome.

6 Likes

Why would you immediately go on the defensive and presume that? It says it on the tin. Everyone whatever race, gender, nationality etc can come. The list would be endless if I had to include every variant.

Also, what needs to be done differently to accommodate all those people on your list? I understand disabled people might need different things highlighting to them but what do different genders need?

Not having a go, just generally want to know so I can learn and understand it better :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Honestly few people would be offended; not unless you were trying to be offensive.

This is what is so often peddled by certain people in the media
 that anything vaguely complex to them must mean that everyone on those lists are walking around being offended by everything and everyone.

In reality, we’re getting a coffee from Pret, going to work and paying overpriced rent like the rest of you. I don’t have time to be offended by someone calling me “Queer” over “Gay” or the likes.

1 Like

Oh yeah I get you with that, don’t worry I’m not that narrow minded :slight_smile:

It was just the need for genders to be mentioned when promoting an event, otherwise those people don’t feel welcome? Or am I misunderstanding?

1 Like

Sometimes it’s a catalyst needed to ensure in future it might not be needed. If enough under represented minorities see that people ‘like them’ attend and are welcome then more may come forward in the future.

For example, the BBC have a policy (I believe) for a woman on every panel show now. Over time this shows other women that they can go on these sort of shows, with the aim that in a few year’s time it won’t be a required policy because it just happens.

6 Likes

Ahh ok, that makes sense. Thank you :slight_smile:

Apologies for the stupid question too :laughing:

1 Like

Not a stupid question in the slightest. And to be honest that’s just my understanding - companies might have their own reasons.

4 Likes

Great post, I too love the pride app icon and use it all the time.

Sad to see that some choose to hijack this thread to be deliberately contrary to the intention and tone of the original post, though. Some people just want to feel like their own opinion is worth more than that of others, and they are usually the ones who call for ‘straight pride’ because they completely miss the whole point!

To the people worrying about LGBTQI+ labels, please be assured that we’re not on the defensive looking for people who get it wrong! It’s ok if you don’t understand it, but it’s the fact that you’re trying and coming from a place of good intention that makes the difference.

2 Likes

I agree, I’m always happy to receive questions about pretty much anything. Every day is a chance to learn something and open your eyes a little more to the world and the people in it.