Just received a mail that Monzo are closing my account

No, banks close dormant accounts all the time. This will have no impact on your Halifax account.

4 Likes

Thank you so much. That’s a big sigh of relief. I didn’t sleep properly last night due to anxiety but thank you so much for confirming that. I kept checking my Halifax every hour to see if there’s anything on there but there isn’t!

2 Likes

Never worry, just a case of them closing something you dont use by your own admission.

Your halifax will be fine

3 Likes

You’re Halifax will be fine.

If it wasn’t Halifax will contact you aswell. As others said it’s most likely since it was inactive and costing them money to keep it open

4 Likes

That’s perfect.

I was just under the assumption that if one account closes, it forces the others to close too but as everyone’s mentioned, it will not affect my main bank account.

I’ve logged into my Halifax online banking and everything is normal so no concerns.

1 Like

It possibly could, if you’d done something really drastic.

But as they’ve given you two months, it’s not fraud and so it has no bearing on your Halifax account.

3 Likes

In relation to that closed topic, @mark2021 should have heard back from Monzo by now as they promised them they would by March 2nd. If you’re still around Mark, I’d love to know if you made any headway with this, and what the outcome was.

To anyone else that goes through the same thing, please do come back and inform us of the outcome or any resolution. These problems are at times anxiety inducing, and it would be nice for once to get some closure and potentially reassurance that an honest user is able to clear things up with Monzo and retain their account.

3 Likes

That’s perfect.

It makes me feel a lot more comfortable now.

1 Like

What issue did he have?

That’s the question being asked :smiley:

I’m sure someone else in that situation said they heard from Monzo but despite my repeated :eyes: emojis and them fetching screenshots, we never found out :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Perhaps there’s another conspiracy to uncover there :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Similar issue as yours. Monzo gave them two months notice of account closure.

They’re one of the few people who showed up here and actually provided evidence and made a formal complaint with Monzo. The thread was unfortunately closed before that went anywhere, so we never learned the outcome of their case.

3 Likes

Oh I see. I think there’s been quite a few cases after reading on it yesterday.

I’m not too worried about the account being closed because I don’t use it. I’ve not used it in a year. My only worry was whether it will affect my account with Halifax which everyone has confirmed it won’t so that’s given me a huge sense of relief now!

3 Likes

Yeah, one bank has no influence over another unless you’ve used it in some kinda criminal way.

3 Likes

I appreciate that we’re trying to soothe people’s nerves so they worry less, but I’m not sure how true that actually is. Banks dont only do things because of criminal level behaviour, if they close an account because they suspect there may be activity they don’t like, but may not actually be criminal, I could think it was perfectly possible for them to tell National Hunter and its ilk that that was why, which if they were to record could then have the knock-on effect of spooking other banks. We have no evidence of this, but because of the rather secretive nature of these agencies we have no evidence to the contrary either.

1 Like

So are you saying I should be worried about my Halifax account then since MONZO have closed an account which hasn’t been used in a year. How can they suspect any behaviours if I’ve made no transactions whatsoever?

I don’t think you should be worried, per se, more so just remain cautious. Personally if I were in your situation, I’d start work on a contingency just in case.

If you don’t care to dispute Monzo’s decision in the hope of keeping your account, CASS away to someone that isn’t a member of Lloyds banking group before Monzo close it. That way, you’ve always got another bank ready to go should you need it.

It can never hurt to occasionally use a second account from time to time either so it remains active.

3 Likes

What other bank do you suggest opening an account with that isn’t a member of the Lloyds group?

1 Like

Yes, I am not saying you should worry. You really do not need to. My point was a general one, not connected to you so please don’t worry.

4 Likes