Its Good, but others are catching up - we need incentives/benefits

the reason about using Starling because of the interest benefits is a bit of a red herring to me , if you were bothered about interest you wouldn’t have much money in Starling , lol you would have no money in Monzo though :slight_smile: :slight_smile: the real problems for Monzo is the lack of visible feature development over the switch over period from prepaid to CA - hopefully in full fanboy mode this will change quite rapidly in the near future - or as we Monzo coolaid kids say …soooooon … having said that 450,000 customers aint bad :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:thinking:
:hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:
:man_shrugging:t2:

You can smart at the withdrawal of free ATM use regardless of if you regularly utilise ATMs abroad or even if you never withdraw cash abroad but feel you should be able to get free access to your money if you wish.

@anon44204028

The charges where voted in Richard so the community only has itself to blame

2 Likes

Agreed. I was just trying to clear the usual wrong assumption that only those who made cash withdrawals abroad a lot or of high value objected to the new charge, others also objected on principles such as the impact of the allowance or the level of the charge above actual costs.

1 Like

Koolaid* come on gramps :rofl::wink::yum:

2 Likes

Starling came out top recently for best debit card to use abroad.

Monzo wasn’t even on the list… I’m not sure foreign transactions are that important to them…

https://www.which.co.uk/money/banking/bank-accounts/guides/best-debit-cards-to-use-abroad

5 Likes

la la la la la :hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

3 Likes

I’m starting to reach this point, but only because it’s looking unlikely some features I’d like that the competitors have will come. The main feature I’m thinking of is a Gifts category. Starling now have all the categories I’d like and pretty much all the ones I’ve seen requested the most on Monzo’s forums, but Monzo have demoed an early version of their new Spending screen, touting only two new categories, with no indication they’ll be adding any further categories, despite several people in that thread asking about that.

Categories are one of the core features that help us manage our spending and help us curb our spending in certain areas. I can understand Monzo not allowing custom categories, but at least adding one more that covers spending on other people wouldn’t make things confusing for users. It’s something we all do and something many of us do frequently.

3 Likes

It’s not that easy to make a decision to switch to Starling though, especially if we’ve already switched to Monzo and asked our company to pay our salary in to Monzo.

One of the biggest factors that makes the decision not easy is the fact both Monzo and Starling are new and it’s possible only one will come out on top, so we need to factor which one we think might succeed in to our decision; it’s not just about which one is prettier or which one has the features most attractive to us.

Having said that, I find Monzo prettier but Starling has the two core features I care about most that are missing from Monzo, and Monzo’s prettiness is making it hard for me to switch :disappointed:

2 Likes

plus also now got SWIFT and SEPA payments in their Android app!

1 Like

But I guess there’s no need to make a Starling v Monzo decision any time soon. Nothing stopping folk being customers of both, review progress at leisure and one or the other may emerge. And in the meantime, perhaps, be part of the development process?

7 Likes

I’m actually starting to use Starling more now thanks to Emma :+1:. It allows me to kind of combine both

3 Likes

Ok that’s great everyone but can we please get back to arguing? :wink:

Seriously though - it’s great to hear some level headed responses in this thread :heart_eyes:

Should have just liked the posts but I figured I’d make the exception & mention this, as maybe when things are going well in this community it doesn’t get acknowledged enough.

7 Likes

sorrrrry if this seems like a megapost, remote week has been distracting and exhausting me.

I have spent a lot on Costa being in London for a week :cry:

I hope the Spending tab addresses your issues when it is rolled out as Breakdown :pray:

I would tend to agree, and that is because we are concentrating so heavily on migrating our users. Hopefully when we close the prepaid scheme we’ll be back on exciting form for our users :muscle:

Would the execution of this feature matter to you?

Do you mind expanding on this, or have you address this previously?

This was a very very early iteration of Marketplace and how we were looking to handle it. Admittedly it didn’t do well but we’re hoping the Marketplace we are currently testing works out better. We are completely open about what we gain from these referrals :+1: Please do let us know if you have any suggestions on how we can improve this!

I would disagree with this: If you scroll to below the map, benefits are listed :smiling_face:

Please don’t, I enjoy seeing your challenging views. Every company needs someone to challenge how they work so they continue working in the best interest of who they are working for, their customers.

If you ever feel personally attacked please let us know! Otherwise take your time in replying because different voices are appreciated.

Our product team has heard this and they are working on it. We want it to be as easy and natural as possible for our users to be using the best products for them :+1:

My boyfriend has a current account with Nationwide and he won’t switch over to Monzo :see_no_evil: I’ve never seen a problem with them, they’re definitely a better bank available to consumers.

I much prefer working in lists - what incentive or benefit would you like to see Monzo offer our customers?

4 Likes

Thanks - I did miss that.

I have said this before - first and foremost a bank account (CASS, Joint, IBAN, cheque and cash in facilities) then the twiddly bits: payments from pots

1 Like

I would like to support this by also stating CASS, Overdraft, joint accounts, are in my views vital for basic banking functionality :+1:

My previous post in relation to instant notifications and the pulse graph. My question to you is if these where removed what have you Monzo got left to offer right now :thinking:?

But I want to remain positive and therefore make an assumption that this year will bring considerable development and changes to the Monzo product.

I look forward to seeing the product develop and evolve. :slightly_smiling_face:

:hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:
:man_shrugging:t2:

hmmmmm at the risk of being labelled fanboy on coolaid or a monzo sheep - which really is quite insulting :slight_smile:

Good FX rate when abroad on POS transactions with no fees from Monzo
Good FX when abroad up to £200 ATM withdrawals with no fees from Monzo
Overdrafts - I was offered one yesterday
An opt in to overdrafts rather than a notification that you’ve gone into your overdraft and this is our fee
Probably number 1 for me - A feed that lets you track and monitor and potentially change your spending habits if you want to
A search function to trace your spending
Attaching receipts to your spending
Fairly good in app customer support
More transparency and engagement from the staff than most other banks

do I want to see more features - yes of course I do, are they seemingly taking ages to implement - yes they are as Ive said previously on the forum

Im sure other fanboys could add more to the list :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Very nicely put

1 Like

Apart from this, I already have all of these features by combining various banks and apps.

And I additionally get all the features others mentioned, like cass, joint account, international transfers, reasonable cheque processing, interest, cashback, section 75 where applicable, etc etc.

I say it again: these are all nice things, but they are offered by many competitors, which additionally offer other features as well.

4 Likes