iPhone Discussion

When they lay it all out….

Who am I kidding… I’m still probably gotta get it :joy:

5 Likes

I have absolutely no desire to upgrade really. I like the new and shiny, but there isn’t anything that’s made me want this new phone. Maybe I’m just at peak-consumer levels, more money than sense or whatever.

My only reason to upgrade is that I’m paying £50 a month for my iPhone and I’ll still be paying £50 a month, but with a £30 cost to upgrade.

So a no-brainer from that point of view. But this is an incredibly meh cycle. Even the colours are really meh. Last year was bad but this is even worse. I miss the purple :frowning_face:

3 Likes

£60 iPhone currently, to go to a £60 a month iphone, but a £210 upgrade “fee” (for me) - is the 0.2 inch screen difference and hopefully bigger battery/better power efficiency worth it, time will tell

The 48MP Macro camera will be nice for those horses snoots photo’s though, however, I don’t take a lot of those

My main upgrade reason is for the battery life, so it better deliver

Not even midday, yet, already at 56%…Maybe I am just too much of a ‘heavy’ user

This “I pay £60 for the phone now so if I upgrade I’ll still pay £60 for the phone” is false economy. Sure month to month it’s true but if you keep your phone for two years before upgrading and pay it off, the trade in value comes off your monthly payments and you’ll end up paying £45 a month for the next one.

If you upgrade just accept that you’re weak willed and the consumerist dystopia has fully sucked you in (like me). Financially it makes no sense however you twist it.

If I preorder on Friday it’ll be because of the battery and because I want a black phone with a pink Otterbox case, not because it makes any sense :laughing:

7 Likes

When*

3 Likes

I feel seen. @AlanDoe I hereby petition for a thumbs down reaction.

2 Likes

I’m still resisting but who knows what might happen in the next two days :slight_smile:

I need a new Mac, though - my 2017 iMac Pro is starting to fail in odd ways. I’d love an iMac Pro again, so one with the M4 Pro chip would be great, but I don’t think that Apple are aiming the iMac at the power user market any longer. An M4 iMac with at least 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD should be powerful enough for pretty much everything, though, and my head says that it’s better to forego the phone and watch in lieu of that.

1 Like

Given that this is effectively the AI generation, is there actual AI parity between the 15 pro and this years phones besides the new ones having faster processing?

Because that might be a deal breaker to some. The way they introduced the Rabbit R1 feature suggests that might be exclusive to the new phone given that it’s billed as a capture control feature. But that could literally just be clever marketing advertising the trigger mechanism on the new phone as opposed to the feature itself being exclusive.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’ll be exclusive to the new iPhone personally, google lens can do it with any phone as we speak

Don’t underestimate Apple for holding back features.

5 Likes

True, that would be very Apple

12:43 and I’m at 42%. Only apps I used are Safari and Apple Music. I hate my 15 Pro Max

2 Likes

Just to note Google lens does everything in the cloud I believe, whereas AppleAi is doing most of it on-device (exactly what is on device isn’t 100% clear but they do say for example they won’t share photos, which is different to how Google lens operates).

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think so either, given the only difference between the two chips for AI is a slight efficiency improvement and more ram.

There could be some hardware limitations we don’t know about yet though. Perhaps the additional ram is necessary for it to function optimally? Perhaps the new thermal design and efficiency were necessary improvements to prevent the phone from becoming too hot. The cameras already run the device very warm on their own as it is. Using them is quite intensive on the processor. AI is likewise processor heavy, and so when you combine the two it might be too much for the existing hardware to handle.

We need some clarity from Apple though. The feature itself only seems to have been mentioned in the keynote and isn’t detailed anywhere on their website from what I can see.

2 Likes

Aaaaaand now I’m reconsidering my saved pre-order for the gold one. The pink case is already en route :laughing:

1 Like

The pink Otterbox Figura? It’s my favourite case I have ever owned; and quite like the look of this year’s pink. Made me switch from Desert to Black Titanium.

I’m flipping between dessert & black for the Pro :sob:

Yum! :yum:

2 Likes

Black, is that even a question lol.

1 Like

What about desert? :eyes: