iPhone Discussion

Deleting TikTok might help.

5 Likes

With everything in general.

7 Likes

May just do that as itā€™s basically QVC these days anyway, just full of people trying to sell you shit ā€œin the yellow basket belowā€

1 Like

Iā€™ve never used TikTok - sounds like I havenā€™t missed much.

6 Likes

Do you have or need background app refresh on? I turn that off for the little social media apps I have and found that makes quite a difference.

That would be why low power mode is better as it basically turns off background app refresh. I may turn it off for most social media apps

Has anyone else with a 15 series iPhone having an issue where itā€™s almost impossible to charge past 80% unless you leave the phone overnight - because it heats up so much and turns into a mobile toaster from about 10 minutes of charging

Which charging optimisation mode are you in?

3 Likes

My 15 Pro Max gets warm but definitely not hot. My sister has the 15 Plus and she says that hers doesnā€™t get very warm at all when charging. She charges hers overnight every day and battery health is still at 100% after nearly 12 months.

Only the Pros with the new 3nm chip have the overheating issues. Pro Max worse than Pro, too. Mine is like a hand warmer most days.

Even when not charging? Iā€™ve had my 15 PM on the wireless charging pad in the car for 3 hour journeys and it doesnā€™t get more than a bit warm, even though itā€™s running Waze via wireless CarPlay.

Sometimes it just sits in my pocket and I can feel it getting warm.

My 15 Pro use to get really hot, the most recent iOS updates seemed to have resolved that.

hopefully apple finally adds a decent cooling system to the 16 series

2 Likes

Rumour has it Apple switched the heatsink on the iPhone 16 Pros to graphene, which is 10 times more thermally conductive than copper.

1 Like

So iPhone 16 range announced.

Looks like another set of fairly minor upgrades. I do like the idea of a capture button but disappointing it wonā€™t be fully functional on release. A big focus on AppleAI which I think looks interesting but wontā€™t be available here until December (I think?)

The non-pro still has a 60hz screen & a 12MP wide angle.

All pretty underwhelming? This is clearly the AI phone generation, so I guess it all depends on how good that really is

I think we are pretty much at peak phone really. The technology just canā€™t jump as quick as we are used too, although we do seem to get a huge jump eventually every decade or so it feels.

The 60hz screen seems ridiculous for the price and compared to much cheaper androids but then again, itā€™s not a deal breaker. The phones will sell as always and for many just having an iPhone & the ecosystem is fine.

Aside from battery life thereā€™s not really much Iā€™d want in a iPhone to change. It does the job, anything else Iā€™ll use a tablet or laptop for.

Better camera software would always become welcome though.

Not sure on that camera button. Seems like weā€™ve gone back a decade to android camera buttons seems an odd design feature just to add something different

5 Likes

Personally Iā€™d take a better screen (brighter, better colours - more like the Samsung high end screens), fast charging and all the camera sensors being equal (I really donā€™t like having sub par sensors meaning you have to sometimes choose between quality vs the right framing).

But, these are minor too, there isnā€™t a huge amount they can change.

1 Like

This. I bet most people buying an iPhone (non-pro) couldnā€™t care less that the screen is 60hz or that they could get a Pixel etc for less with a faster refresh rate because itā€™s not Apple.

For the people that care about the fastest CPU, most RAM, highest refresh rate etc thatā€™s what the pro line is for.

Personally I quite like it. Seems like it will make it easier to adjust focus/settings while holding the phone like a camera instead of having to try and tap the correct place on the screen without dropping it.

1 Like

Agreed, itā€™s underwhelming and looks like another year of saying ā€œmaybe next yearā€ā€¦

I wouldā€™ve gone for the teal 16 model but the 60hz screen is a deal breaker.

The software features/AI updates were initially appealing to me, but that now also seems underwhelming. Itā€™s kinda wild to me that Apple is essentially releasing an unfinished product in this way, if the features arenā€™t available until months after launch.

The capture button - Iā€™m looking forward to seeing the reviews. Given how I hold my phone, I wonder how easy it would be to unintentionally trigger it? But Iā€™m sure Apple has thought of that.

Meanwhile, Samsung and Pixel devices are looking really appealing.

5 Likes