Introducing the new Monzo Plus

With a virtual card, can I set a monetary or uses limit?

Shame the Virtual Cards you can’t add money to it. I don’t understand how this improves security as fraudsters can use them details and empty your main account.

@tomdavies it looks like you missed my previous post. Let me explain why I asked the question.

I’m sure you’d agree that one of the main reasons why people trust Monzo is their straightforward communication.

Unless I’ve missed something, virtual cards don’t help keep your money safe. The payments are made from your main account so if someone gets their hands on your virtual card details, they can still empty your account. The good news is that just like your regular card, users are protected from that kind of fraud by Monzo. So ultimately there’s no difference between the your regular card and a virtual card in terms of security. I think it’s reasonable to say that it could be counterproductive to suggest that your money is less safe if you don’t use a virtual card.

But virtual cards do have a benefit, which is that they save you updating your card details everywhere if one of your cards are compromised. So why not just say that instead?

4 Likes

Doesn’t seem like it yet, but I would like this too. There definitely feels like there is so much expansive potential surrounding the uses of the virtual cards though.

2 Likes

Id assume transferring from the remote account is do-able as that is basically just the easy transfers feature. Transferring to that account should be easy to as Monzo have the account details so can just issue a bank transfer without involving the other party.

Surprised its no the same for credit cards? They don’t really need open banking API to allow us to easily transfer money to it, just a standard bank transfer with the details filled in for us would be fine, assuming they get the required details as part of the open banking standard.

Hopefully one of the engineers/product managers can explain any limitations I may have missed, but I think it would be a nice addition to that feature.

1 Like

Where’s the “I would but I can’t (Joint Account)” option?

5 Likes

also for me while that notion of
‘support’ can be very easily
sneered at its also a hallmark of the brand and user/community buy in that
Monzo have generated. That should be harnessed IMO though it is a fine line to tread.

My take is I believe in the vision and so
my default stance will be to try and support,while also extracting some value. Its similar (though with crucial differences) to how I try to support and engage with local businesses.

One flip side I have complained about in the past is you can get all of these equally
invested opinions on the community with massively disparate wants who aren’t keen on being let down.

But overall an engaged customer base should be a huge asset. As a 70% email open rate highlights(obviously I understand there will be a funnel of conversion metrics within that) . Great metric

It would be useful if you could set perhaps a monthly spending limit on them or freeze them. Say you had a dodgy transaction go out, you could just freeze that number whilst the general account continued as usual.

Any news on Tesco Bank cards, their app is just plain awful.

2 Likes

You can send from the connected account, there’s a “move money” button under the card on the carousel. You might need to have easy bank transfers on in labs to see it. No way to send to it yet which I’d like to see

The fact the button is titled move money with arrows going either way insinuates to me you’ll be able to send soon as well

100% my issue with this part.

I’ve signed up, but I won’t use this specific feature until it’s rounds to .00. Would really like to do x2 or x5 and see what impact it has on a monthly basis - but I really want a round balance!

First world problems hey? haha

2 Likes

@tjvr How do Virtual Cards work with freezing the main card? I see the only way to “stop” a virtual card is to delete it? Or does freezing it also stop it? :+1:

1 Like

Really good question - does freeze card become freeze account? or an option to choose what you freeze?

Yea, it’d be good to be able to double (and roundup) if that makes sense.

Ie, a payment of 1.30 returns a 70p roundup, but I want to double, so I pay another 70p, but then I want it to roundup again (+60p) to £2.00 instead of £1.40.

Be a bit more complex I think :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is how I view it as well. Would love that to be the way it works.

I’m not a developer though - that might be asking them to slap their mum with the complexity of it!

Hi @tomdavies

Having now used plus for a few hours I wanted to share user feedback

TL:DR
For me this is a hugh improvement on the previous efffort and I think it’s better than the Bundles, would be cool to see options to bolt on insurance etc but please dont go back to specific bundles, either the customer want’s all three and pays for them or just want’s the basics and that’s that.

Signup Flow

Felt it was easy and super quick

Green UI
Growing on me, would prefer the option to disable

Interest
Awesome to see this return

Custom Catagories
Didn’t initially see the point of this but it’s cool. An awesome thing would be to link a custom catagory to a parent one E.G Takeaways as part of my overall eating out budget

Virtual Cards
Seems cool, don’t really understand the benefits

Advanced Roundups
Looks cool, can’t say I’d use it

Credit Tracker
Since Monzo only uses Transunion I dont think I’ll use it. My experian one is significantly higher than the one I get here so it could be misleading to some

Offers
Thanks for including nationwide services - this was a big stickling point for me as a non londoner in the past

Auto Export
Seems cool have no use for it personally

1 free cash deposit
I dont think you should have to pay for this, personally

Fee Free withdrawals increase
Awesome

New Card
Looks cool, let’s see how it performs in the flesh

2 Likes

I’ve not really looked at virtual cards ever and only when people were explaining them on here recently.

But to me, if I think “Hmmm, you’re dodgy, you can have my virtual card” if it is fully linked to my normal account, then they can take it all.

If I can say “You can have £10 a month max” or “You can use this 1 time” then that to me is a something worthwhile.

Unless I’m missing something?

4 Likes

Bug when you view the other accounts the up keeps saying updating above balance but the name say nationwide or Barclays disappear after updating

OK, time to mute this thread as it’s swiftly devolving into the usual split of ‘It’s great’ and ‘wahhh I don’t like it’.

Thanks again to everyone who worked so hard on this, I hope the feedback remains constructive.

6 Likes

Entirely underwhelmed. I get that that isn’t a popular opinion but there you are.

2 Likes