Introducing Strong Customer Authentication: What you need to know

Thanks Jim. I’ve fed that back internally to the team building it.

2 Likes

I realize my initial post might have sounded like a dig, it wasn’t and thanks for the hard work on making Monzo better

2 Likes

Not not at all! Actually since I fed it back the team let me know they’re planning a sweep of this thread to collate all the feedback :grinning:

Feedback is what helps us improve so it’s always welcome.

11 Likes

I have only skimmed this thread, so apologies if these have already been answered.

For a Monzo user who uses TouchID or FaceID and opens the app everyday, the only changes would be:

1. Periodically confirming 3rd party access (eg account and spending aggregators) should still have access to your account
  2. Enter your PIN when you login on a new device (for example when you get a new phone)

If that is the case, and it is to become something which banks have to comply with by law, why all the fuss? It looks like everyday workflows would be totally unchanged if you are a regular user who already uses biometrics to login to the app?

1 Like

It looks like everyday workflows would be totally unchanged if you are a regular user who already uses biometrics to login to the app?

It’s like the next level of that…I also don’t get all the fuss btw

So, you login with biometrics enabled. You use the app, maybe you make a payment. Then under this rule it may ask you to re-confirm your pin before you can make it, even it’s the same device/payee.

2 Likes

Same.

1 Like

It’s a pain for those that don’t already use biometrics for opening the app - I consider my phones security more than adequate.

Also, I’ve been given two of these checks now (in as many days), and they’re annoying - the interface freezes up for a good second or two before the Face ID prompt appears.

2 Likes

If that is the case, then it is certainly not a good implementation.

1 Like

Just had it again

That’s 3 times now

1 Like

I’ve had it 3/4 times too, even though I access the app multiple times a day. One of those times I kept getting an error when using fingerprint - invalid number or something? Closed the app tried again later, got in without doing anything. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yep :slight_smile:

I will take great delight in leaving all my stuff at the counter if they don’t take Apple Pay without a card. If enough people do this it will filter back up through management and it will be fixed in no time.

Today I had the Strong Customer Authentication be pretty obvious and felt a little stupid.

I opened Monzo with Face ID authentication. I moved from the payment tab to the feed screen, dragged down and I was asked to enter my PIN. This all occurred in about a 5 to 10 second period.

Was there need for 2 authentications so quickly after each other?

3 Likes

I got two Face ID requests back to back - opened the app with it then it just randomly popped up :joy: that could be a bug though …

1 Like

Really not enjoying this! I’ve had a number of SCA checks in the last couple of days. What makes it worse is the seemingly random and unnecessary nature of the checks… :confused: I get that I can use biometrics, but regardless its an unwanted interruption to the usual flow… I’d probably rather authenticate every time than have random interruptions…

1 Like

My option for SCA has been removed from Labs, is that because it is now rolled out?

SCA was never in Labs. Do you mean the option for ‘Improved Card Security’? If so, it was never released to us.

Yes improved card security, definitely in labs for me yesterday as I turned it on and got a feed item to click for more but it didn’t go anywhere!

It was accidentally released to all rather than just staff so they fixed that when they found out

More details on what it is later

Thanks a lot!
It is really long waited feature!
Most of the banking apps have it, now Monzo as well.
(hope, I will need to enter PIN on app open and on money transfer only)

1 Like