Introducing Monzo Premium

Not bad, but still not sure it beats the £90 “next day replacement” O2’s service offers.

Is there any provision for a similar scheme with this insurance? Or to receive replacement before sending the broken model?

I was in until I realized the card only comes in white! If it was blue or black I would be on but a white card is weird.

Also the tag line is odd, from that I thought you were going to start sending paper statements which I didn’t think was much of a sales point!

When the card is in a different colour I will definitely consider again

1 Like

Any chance you could work with Assurant to have this added to the T&Cs or one page info sheet?

In my experience it’s best to have stuff in writing when it comes to insurance companies.

5 Likes

Can’t believe we’ve got this far in comments without one person saying it will probably be shelved and look forward to Monzo Premium version 2 (or 3). :smirk:

1 Like

Now that would be a good step forward. Hopefully something for 2021?

2 Likes

If it was breakdown cover instead of travel insurance I would have joined as I dont plan on going abroad any time soon :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Is the metal card contactless enabled or not?

1 Like

Given the promo image shows someone making a contactless payment…

1 Like

To get travel insurance do you have to pay for the travel on your Munzo Card?

No - looking at the T&C.

If your mobile phone has been modified in any way, we will not cover the modifications that have been made.

Modifications are anything that changes the way your mobile phone looks or operates from the original specifications. This includes things like adding gems, precious metals or making software changes such as unlocking it from a network.

Reading the phone insurance Ts&Cs, and the above seems very strange to me (emphasised). Why would unlocking a phone invalidate the insurance? This doesn’t seem rational or fair.

Edit: I think I may have misread it, is this just saying that any service/replacement would not replace/repair the modifications?

2 Likes

Wasn’t aware of that :frowning:

I’m currently a Monzo plus user and also have Nationwide plus.

I’m ready to move over from nationwide to this but there is one key thing that I need clarifying.

My nationwide mobile insurance will cover anyone in the household.

Does this do the same?

If it does, sign me up.

I can’t seem to see where that is confirmed one way or another.

5 Likes

Would love to see a test case in court for that!

1 Like

Where’s that then?

Will do a full breakdown later but if the card really does cost £50 as reported I would much rather not take it and get a discount on the PM price.

I don’t want, need or ever will care about a metal card so it’s inflates the price for something I don’t want.

15 Likes

we will not cover the modifications that have been made.

Reading the phone insurance Ts&Cs, and the above seems very strange to me (emphasised). Why would unlocking a phone invalidate the insurance? This doesn’t seem rational or fair.

The way I read that is that if your phone has been unlocked, they will not guarantee that it will remain unlocked and so you will need to have it unlocked again.
Considering most insurance companies WIPE your handset clean, making sure that it has fresh and up-to-date software, this is understandable.

Most mobile networks don’t charge to unlock your phone now (and most are now unlocked by default) and if you have paid to unlock it then the unlock codes SHOULD be available to you for free.

3 Likes

It appears to be provided by the same insurance group (except nationwide’s is managed by lifestyle group). The wording in the Monzo policy sounded very similar, which is why I went hunting!

Sorry yeah I edited my comment after reading it again, I’d agree with your interpretation

Just trying to have a quick compare of Monzo’s Phone cover, vs Flex Plus.

For comparisons sake:

Monzo Nationwide
Provider Assurant Assurant
Value Covered £2,000 £1,500
Accessories £300 £250
Replacements Refurbished Refurbished or Remanufactured
Repairs Repair, with potentially 3rd Party Parts, then replacement Repair or replacement.
Who’s Covered Account Holder only Account holder or Family Member
Claim Limit 2 per 12 months 4 per 12 months
Excess £75 £50 non apple / £125 Apple

I would hazard a guess that as the insurer is the same, there’s going to be a pretty similar reuslt in terms of repairs/process/timings etc.

And on paper, Monzo has higher cover limits, but is balanced with fewer claims / less people on the policy.

8 Likes