Introducing Monzo Premium

This was the whole point, wasn’t it?

People were reluctant to switch to monzo because they were reliant on their old bank for various insurance bundles. Monzo have now launched an equivalent product that offers something for these customers.

Insurance products are never going to be exciting or particularly novel.

5 Likes

It makes sense for me as my current insurance on my phone is roughly £12 per month already and I already had Plus.

Would be nice to have other features e.g. cashback/better offers etc, but at the end of the day you will not make everyone happy.

Hopefully things like the above get implemented/improved as versus other banks it’s pretty mediocre. Even Revolut has better offerings for their metal card (and it’s cheaper). Although I’m happy to support Monzo at the moment, being my main account.

1 Like

$40 then. :neutral_face:

1 Like

This might be what you’re referring to?

1 Like

You jest but its a serious point and worth noting that Monzo’s travel insurance excludes any pre existing conditions.

This compares to the bundled insurance with

• Lloyd’s/TSB who automatically cover a range of existing conditions and also go up to 80 years old instead of 70; and

• HSBC/Nationwide who will cover many pre-existing conditions if notified in advance of travelling (they may sometimes charge a fee but it’s often free)

If you’re young and healthy you might not worry about this but a large percentage of the population have such conditions.

I wouldn’t say often free. If you’ve got say bad acid reflux as an ongoing condition - in the extremely unlikely event that you need to visit a hospital on holiday regarding this - the treatment is probably going to be a Gaviscon. So it’ll be free.

If you’ve got anything wrong with anything remotely connected to your heart, brain, other organs etc. the cost of a hospital trip is likely to be much more expensive so they charge you more to cover these risks.

Ohh it’s arrived :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The other policies will cover the most common existing conditions for free.

From TSB’s travel insurance document you don’t even need to declare the below to them - you’re automatically covered and this does not mean others aren’t covered - just that you need to declare them before travelling

No Screen Conditions (for which You do not need to contact Us)

Achilles tendon injury
Acid excess
Acid Reflux
Acne
ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
Allergy (requiring no prescriptive treatment only)
Allergy (with Epipen if prescribed)
Anal fissure/fistula
Arthritis
Asthma
Benign Prostatic Enlargement
Blindness
Broken bone (not head or spine)
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Cataracts
Chicken pox
Colitis (no hospital admissions in the last 12 months)
Common cold/influenza
Corneal graft
Cosmetic surgery
Crohn’s Disease
Cuts and abrasions (non self-inflicted)
Cyst – breast
Cyst – testicular
Cystitis
Deafness
Diabetes
Diarrhoea and/or vomiting
Dislocated hip (not replacement hip)
Diverticulitis
Dyspepsia
Epididymitis
Epilepsy
Essential tremor
Fungal nail infection
Gastric reflux
Glandular fever (not within 3 months of the planned trip)
Glaucoma
Gout
Haemorrhoids
Hayfever
Hernia
High blood pressure
High Cholesterol
Hip replacement
Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
Hysterectomy
IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Impetigo
Macular degeneration
ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, if only symptom is fatigue)
Meniere’s disease
Menopause/HRT
Menorrhagia
Migraine (confirmed diagnosis, no ongoing investigations)
Nasal polyps
Neuralgia, Neuritis
Nut allergy
Osteochondritis
Osteoporosis
Parkinson’s
Pelvic inflammatory disease
PMT (Pre-menstrual tension)
Pregnancy (no complications)
Psoriasis
Reflux oesophagitis
Retinal detachment
Rheumatism
Rhinitis
RSI (Repetitive strain injury/Tendinitis)
Shingles
Shoulder injury
Sinusitis
Sleep Apnoea
Tendon injury
Tendonitis
Tinnitus
Tonsillitis
Urticaria
Varicose Veins
Vertigo

I think it’s fair to say that this covers the most common medical issues.

4 Likes

Can someone post a screenshot of what this looks like in-app please? Is it the white card against the (questionable) green/yellow gradient Plus background?

1 Like

Except that the doctor/pharmacist might be unwilling to agree that your worsening “heartburn” is benign and want you to go to hospital - possibly by ambulance - so they can do more tests to rule out a heart attack.

You need to tread fairly carefully with these things. At least in the above scenario the bill wouldn’t be horrendous (not compared with an intensive care stay and/or international repatriation) but it might still be fairly significant.

2 Likes

Interesting Monzo didn’t reinstate a vanity monzo.me username with Premium. That feels like an easy win to get the feature set a little more polished.

1 Like

Okay my question.

I have had 1 card replacement in the last 10 or so years, outside normal expiry and changing account types. The time I asked for a replacement I had bent it while in my pocket, hopefully won’t happen with a metal one.

I understand that they need to cover additional costs for the cards. But what happens if I lose it, can I just order a normal plastic replacement?

The card is nice, but is nice, but not worth a £50 replacement, especially if in 3 years from now I need to replace it.

1 Like

9 Likes

ah the 2xGreggs lunch combo. Love it

15 Likes

I read that as you’re not covered now.

You’re covered if the FCO declare the country a place not to visit unless it’s due to a pandemic (which this is).

In other words if you’re in a country you can currently go to and the FCO change their policy you’re not covered.

Nice to actually see a feed with accurate merchant logos!

Mine looks like a total mess in comparison.

I prefer the renderings of the plus card in app though. Also nice to see the metal card accompanied by a different hue gradient that’s consistent with the product branding. The card looks a little of place though.

To me this just reaffirms the notion that this functionality is abandoned and no longer supported. Despite a promise of eventual reinstation, Apple Pay support is still missing and there have been zero updates for over a year. I wouldn’t be surprised at this point to see the feature eventually fade out of existence, along with payment links, given that those were not updated to comply with the privacy of hiding account details. They both look and feel like abandonware at this point. Or Monzo have just become less nimble than the big banks, which may explain the lack of updates surrounding plus too.

Starling continue to lead the way in pace, and every month they add something new, it gets hard to stick with Monzo or even recommend them, when objectively superior options now exist. The primary excuse used by the community here doesn’t wash anymore, since plus launched 3 months ago. I wonder what’s stagnating them so bad. Surely it’s not just the finances?

2 Likes

just a coffee addict really :coffee:!

I’m in :heart_eyes:

Assume the blue card in my app will change once I’ve activated my new one ?

It’s a no from me I’m afraid, the metal card is just a gimmick, I prefer to use Apple Pay as it’s easier. The hype for metal cards will pass quickly just like for the holographic, plus my high street banks packaged account offers more & is cheaper so it’s a win win really🤷🏼‍♂️ A credit card with offers would’ve pushed them in the right direction.

I’m giving it a go - sure it will cost me £90 because of the 6 month minimum subscription. But already i love the virtual cards, I already feel safer using my Monzo online now (I would feel even better if they did a credit card) and trust me, the metal card feels impressive - weighty, substantial, and it just looks good.

Gimmicky - yeah sure, but so is the Gold card, and the Platinum card etc. Damn, my car is gimmicky, i could easily drive around in a cheaper car but then I wouldn’t get all the attention. Gimmicky makes the difference between existing and living. :slight_smile:

6 Likes