Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

When a physical card is due to launch I’m sure they’ll be an update, until then, silence on this feature, means no updates as yet.

5 Likes

I fear that having a second card on account opens up lots of complexities.

For example - do they have same or different PIN, when asked to confirm PIN in the app is it debit or flex PIN or either? Is the card number same as virtual, or different, or like both renumbered? Is the fraud and protection support different, now that there is a physical card in addition to pure virtual one?

So I expect it will take a long time to test and work out all the kinks. As it takes a long time to hit all the scenarios.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be a second card, it would be the physical form of the already-existing virtual card. Same card number, expiry date, CVV code. The virtual card doesn’t have a PIN (other than the app’s own PIN), the physical card will.

No reason why fraud protection would change. It would still be a credit product so S75 protection would still apply.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to pay a Flex payment early? I can only seem to find how to pay the last payment off early, I thought this was added some time ago?

Flex > Manage

Then below the virtual card details it will say when your next payment is due and the amount. Tap that and it will say “Pay £xx now” along with the breakdown of that payment.

2 Likes

Must be an A/B thing as I don’t have the option there (or anywhere).

3 Likes

Me either, only option is to pay off the final installments.

2 Likes

I’ve got the options to ‘Pay off extra’ and ‘Make monthly payment now’ under manage

1 Like

Mine just says “Pay off extra” which then explains it’s the final instalment you are paying off.

Is it not the ‘next’ installment it advises will be paid (rather than ‘first’,‘second’ or ‘last’ payment)?

For example, with a Pay-in-3 Flex transaction:

• Flex a payment and pay nothing yet → select ‘Pay off extra’ and it’ll pay off the first installment
  • On a Flexed payment (with the initial payment made) → select ‘Pay off extra’ and it’ll pay off the second installment
  • On a Flexed payment (with two payments made) → select ‘Pay off extra’ and it’ll pay off the final installment

No. As @npc_06 patiently explained - it only offers to knock off extra payments from the final payment of any instalment plan.

1 Like

1 Like

:point_up: that’s if you tap on ‘Pay off extra’ in the list of selections in the ‘Manage’ tab of the Flex card. In my case it shows the total of all outstanding Flex payments rolled into one (£66) from which to pay a chosen amount off. Straightforward so far.

But if you go into the ‘Manage’ tab of the Flex card and instead tap on ‘Next Flex payment… £xx.xx’, you get the chance to pay off a fixed amount that doesn’t indicate it will come off the last payment. It shows an amount which equals the next payment due - at least in my case it does:

Complicated character this Flex is.

1 Like

Ditto, if I go to ‘Pay Now’ it will take the amount from the next payment. In my case it’ll take it from feb so my next amount due would be March.

1 Like

That blue button on the right I don’t have, it just shows the amount but it’s not a button to click.

tbh, I daren’t tap on it in case it instantly pays the £34!

EDIT: Grew a pair and tapped on it. I then got this screen which clearly states it is the next monthly payment:

3 Likes

I guess it’s still being rolled out then.

Hey

Yes, sorry for the confusion - this is still being tested.

If you want the “pay early” feature to be enabled for you then you can ask in the app or message me your email. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve messaged you, thanks in advance @TheoGibson

Thanks - will try get it enabled tomorrow (it’s a bit late now :sleeping:)

8 Likes