I can't sleep at night. How can I overcome this?

What should I do if I am having trouble sleeping?

1 Like

Keep a record of what you’re doing during the day, what you’re eating, what time you go to bed, when you put your phone down/remove screens etc.

Then look for any commonality.

Also, due to the current situation with COVID-19, there are underlying stresses affecting everyone that might impact on your sleep, and these can be hard to identify.

Reading a book or something for 1 hour or so before bed can help, drinking more water, etc. etc.

1 Like

Speak to a doctor. Don’t get medical or health advice from the internet.

5 Likes

Read this book:

Speak to a doctor there could be so many causes including mental well-being.

1 Like

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+should+I+do+if+I+am+having+trouble+sleeping%3F

As ordog said speak to a professional

My advice is be as active and busy as you can during the day then you’ll be more tired at night

Obviously am no medical expert here, but a routine before going to bed really helps me and sticking to going to bed at the same time each night!

Being strict on my use of technology before bed as well, if I turn my phone - I feel like I sleep better? That’s probably just phycological but anyway.

Defo get some medical advice, they’ll be able to help you best.

Hope you get some good kip soon :sparkles:

1 Like

I found the app sleepio very useful. The nhs will cover the cost for you depending on where you live. Worth giving it a go! A lot of research has gone into it.

Whilst I agree that going to the doctor is be the best idea if you have medical cocnerns, I will give you my experience.

I had years in and since childhood of not falling asleep at night. My mind can be very overactive and thinking too much about everything and anything. Not even worries, just anything. Writing things down didn’t work because I would keep writing things down and then that kept me up.

I learnt about 10 years ago that I had to distract my mind to fall asleep. I started listening to audiobooks as I went to sleep because my mind instead of focusing on random things would follow the story of the book and I would drift to sleep eventually. I did this for years and it became very effective. The amount of times I have listened to Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter books 1 to 7 over the years could possibly be a world record.

I also tried the 4-7-8 Yoga breathing technique in the last few years - I am not a Yoga person at all - but this seemed to work for me too when I managed to do it right.

Shutting off technology as @RossyS states is also a good idea and I try to do that now too.

3 Likes

I’m currently on book 4. Stephen fry could read a shopping list and it would be worth it

3 Likes

+1 for audiobooks. We’re currently on the Millennium trilogy. A chapter before bed, then phone to silent and set the sleep timer for “end of chapter” and play it quietly through a Bluetooth speaker with the lights out. Usually asleep within a few minutes then restart that chapter the next evening.

Avoid using screens for an hour before bed at least.

Don’t watch or read the news in the couple of hours before bed, and if you’re able to safely take an hour of fresh air after your evening meal that’ll help too.

Apart from that, cool temperature in the bedroom, natural cotton sheets, regular bedtime of you can manage it. Cut down on caffeine and alcohol in the evening. All the things we’re bad at doing in modern life!

(edit for missing word)

1 Like

I’d add that in addition to natural fibres for bedding, a good bed, mattress and pillows can make a huge difference. My bed/mattress/pillows together make up the single most expensive piece of furniture in the house.

1 Like

My experience is extremely similar to the experiences of Chapuys.

When I was a student, I had a big problem sleeping. I went to the doctor. He asked me about my tea and coffee consumption. I didn’t drink coffee but I drank many cups of tea. He suggested I cut out tea from the afternoon. This alone had a big positive impact. I don’t know if you drink tea or coffee, but if you do, this is one to try.

Lots of other good tips from others.

Good luck.

1 Like

This is what I found to work really well too. I got some good wireless earphones that are comfortable enough for me to sleep in and also mostly block out any outside noise.

It used to take me at least an hour or two of staring at the back of my eyelids with my mind racing about nothing to get to sleep - but now I stick my earphones and a podcast on and I’m generally out in 15 mins at most.

2 Likes

Try watching 2001 A Space Odyssey while in bed, normally send me off to sleep within 10 minutes

1 Like

Try download the HeadSpace app, I find that helps me

1 Like

Did you forget that you already said that this morning?

Edit: I guess so

3 Likes

Big fan of this app as well, super helpful for winding down and getting in the mindset to sleep!

This is a good starting point

Insomnia