Huel, Saturo, yfood etc

That’s where meal planning comes in. Plan your meals for the week and do most of the prep work at the weekend.

Most stuff you can even cook and just reheat when you’re ready to eat it. I find they’re sometimes better this way because the sauce has thickened and such.

I can’t really be bothered to cook on the weekends either, especially not for the whole week ahead. I get 0 enjoyment out of cooking, in fact I can’t decide which one I like less – working or cooking. Two necessities so that I can live and continue doing some stuff I actually enjoy on the weekends

That’s the problem. Crap food is both cheap and easy. I mean I don’t eat terrible stuff all the time, but definitely tend to go for the easy wins (carbs)

I think this is where meal shakes do help for me. As said this is a problem I have mainly with lunch and breakfast, but it’s actually easier than anything else I can produce, meaning when it’s in the cupboard I go to it not even through a desire to eat healthy or anything but just via sheer laziness.

2 Likes

So Mac n Cheeze review!

Like many of the Hot and Savouries it needed a bit less Water than the instructions recommend (I went with about 230g not 250)

The texture is a bit thinner than I’d like after the 5 minutes, even with less water - like it definitely has cup of soup vibes about it, but isn’t terrible.

The flavour is quite nice for a vegan cheese at least. Definitely get a cheese flavour, savoury/nutmeggy sort of richness. Comparing it to a restaurants Mac and cheese is a bit lacking, but it’s got way more depth to it than say a microwave one from the supermarket.

After first taste I did add salt + pepper and a bit of garlic which is nice.

One weird thing is the pasta is still a bit crunchy - it’s not terrible, but unexpected for sure. Maybe cooking in a microwave would be different.

I ate it with a bagel to dip in as I was extra hungry. That was nice too.

Overall, would eat again for lunch. Probably the better flavour out of the savoury ones.

2 Likes

I eat a lot of freeze dried meals when hiking and the pasta is always like that. Not sure why, must be the process.

You can always pretend it’s ‘al dente’

1 Like

After lunch today, pretty much agree with all of this. I did find I enjoyed it more as I kept eating- I’ve not had much experience with vegan cheese flavours in the past, so it took some getting used to the flavour.

Do any of these services offer taster packs? Not like a full size box of stuff for full price, but just tiny bags/bottles for a few quid so I can make a decision whether it’s something I’d like to do. I can’t see any, and I think they’re missing out

I believe Huel used to offer something like that but they stopped. Something to do with smaller trial versions aren’t enough to fully experience the product and adjust to the changes.

You can buy the bottled versions of Huel individually in some supermarkets, so you can try one without paying for a crate of 12 bottles.

YFood do a taster pack, but it’s full sizes, and isn’t much cheaper than just buying the one you want to try ordinarily.

I’d view any trial from these companies as more of flavour tasting sessions than anything else.

I have quite a large surplus of Huel RTD bottles in chocolate that I’m likely never to use. I’d be happy to mail a few to you for free if you’d like, I’ll just need to double check they’re still in date.

That sounds like a cheap cop out from Huel. I don’t want to get accustomed to the lifestyle or whatever, I just want to know if the chilli and the Mac n cheeze are serviceable dinners on days when I’d otherwise turn to oven/frozen food, and I’m not willing to commit £50-60 on something I don’t know how much I’ll like

And thanks for the offer! Out of curiosity, why wont you drink those? Are they not too great?

4 Likes

I just don’t get on with the texture. They’re too lumpy, which puts me off. They don’t smell the best either. Taste is ok though.

Yeah, a taster pack of Hot & Savory seems like a no brainier to me.

You can normally find (sealed!) bags floating around on eBay. Not going to save you much, but means you don’t have to order 3 whole bags from Huel.

You’re not selling it :laughing:

That said, if you happen to have a referral code, I might be able to give the Hot&Savoury stuff a go

@BritishLibrary what other flavours have you tired?

2 Likes

For what its worth, I tried a chocolate Huel RTD from Sainsbury’s last week rather than a sandwich and some crisps. I enjoyed it, tasted like a healthy chocolate milkshake to me and kept me feeling full longer than a sandwich would.

2 Likes

Oh, they do them in Sainsburys? Which section? Chilled drinks, the meal deal fridge, or just on the shelves somewhere?

1 Like

Should be with the meal deals! They sell individual bottles at Ocado too.

I think they’re missing a trick by not doing the same for the hot and savoury stuff.

You could probably find people on eBay reselling individual packs too. It’ll be up marked no doubt so they make a profit, but cheaper than buying the full thing.

1 Like

It’s in the meal deal fridge. £3.50 a bottle. Same price as the meal deal I think. I got mine in Manchester Piccadilly station shop. Not sure if they are stocked in all stores though.

1 Like

I’ve had three of them I think.

There’s a Thai one(?) - its quite bland tbh and thicker than you might want Thai to be. It was to Thai Green Curry as to what Pot Noodle is to Thai food?

and a tomato and basil one - this one I liked - had a nice flavour but I also wasn’t trying to compare it to anything - flavour was definitely tomatoey, and the texture was good.

My other half likes the Mexican one, though I don’t think I’ve tried it!

My winner is the Mac and cheese out of the ones I’ve tried.

I can recommend both the Chocolate or Vanilla RTD too. I occasionally have these for lunch over the Hot and Savoury. I think You can get these retail (Sainsbury?) so probably the most accessible way to try. Definitely better than their powdered equivalent.

2 Likes

Oh, nice, thank you! I would probably go with Hot & Savoury to try and replace a few dinners here and there when I’m feeling particularly lazy, and would do ready to drink instead of the odd Greggs when in the office. I’ll probably try ready to drink from Sainsburys, perhaps even this weekend, but perhaps I might be looking for a referral soon to try the H&S

2 Likes

The office is the easiest place for me. I keep a couple of tupperwares with some powder in and a shaker in my draw. Completely negates the need to remember my lunch or go and get a sandwich.

(I still get sausage rolls from greggs though)

I might be able to get you a code. Lemme investigate!