Huel, Saturo, yfood etc

I suspect the vegan range will expand given time. Huel’s RTD lineup isn’t much broader. Saturo is probably king here.

Personally, I think it’s okay not to go all the way vegan if it keeps things palatable for more people. I also don’t believe veganism is the right solve in this day and age, purely for where we’re at as a society with domestication and farming. If everyone went vegan over night, I think it would be tragic, doing more harm to the environment than good. I think it ought to be looked at as a much longer term gradual transition.

1 Like

I scrolled through the last 50-odd comments and found the discussion interesting as in the past I also tried Huel. It was early days for them I believe, so all they had was the standard stuff and I found it pretty hard to go through the two bags they sent.

The texture and consistency was hard to get right, and the taste wasn’t something I could get used to. It was like drinking flour mixed with water. I also found that it wasn’t filling at all, after an hour or so I was craving solid food (and I didn’t even replace all my meals)

I see they’ve branched out massively, have a much better product lineup and there are several competitors. As I’d like to eat more healthily I’d consider trying them again, just not sure how to go about it… how do people use Huel/others? As meal replacements, or snacks between meals? Every day, or just occasionally?

1 Like

They won’t though. I’m not sure why the effects of a completely impossible scenario are relevant to our personal choices or mean you shouldn’t choose a vegan option where you can :sweat_smile:

Anyway, veganism is a bit off topic. Point for me is, it does rule out YFood coconut and most of their flavours.

3 Likes

I eat Huel for breakfast and lunch, and an ordinary dinner.

That’s because for those meals, I was often too busy so I skipped them, or ate junk. I rarely found myself preparing or eating something delicious for those. If it’s a Saturday and I get the time, I will still happily make something nicer than a meal shake, but during the week this is what I have

Dinner is a different affair for me. I love cooking dinner and we eat as a family, I’d never skip it.

Like most things I guess finding your own routine is key but this works for me.

2 Likes

Oh they don’t! I’m just saying if the vegetarian one is much more palatable than a vegan option, I’d go with the vegetarian one if it means I’m going to be eating healthier and is stillbetter than big tasty with bacon!

I could try to force myself to drink the vegan one, but if it’s just not as nice, I won’t stick with it! Saturo do a pretty good job though, so it’s not an issue for me. I just have YFood for the variety and because milk is good addition to a diet.

This is what I do as well. Though sometimes I’ll go all the way and have Saturo/YFood for every meal of the day.

It’s just the simplest way for me to eat healthy, and they’re nice to consume, which is more than I can say about most healthy foods.

Dinner is for the few chewable, though not necessarily healthy, foods that I actually like.

1 Like

I agree with that. I’m all for making positive changes that aren’t punishing yourself, that’s the only way to make changes stick.

1 Like

Some more pics of the new YFood bottles found on Twitter. Sort of looks like the Soylent and Huel bottles had a baby.

2 Likes

I am contemplating trying the Huel Mac and Cheese thingy. Might be good for a quick lunch. Has anyone tried it?

1 Like

New branding design is live throughout the website. Very modern. Very slick.

Edit: as part of this huge branding upgrade, they’ve added more vegan flavours in the form of Berry and Banana. Might be something you’re interested in @simonb @breville_monkey? Though, sadly, no coconut (yet!).

3 Likes

This stuff is great, mixes really well and so tasty, really easy to pack the protein in. It’s not classed as a complete meal though.

Interesting rebrand… i’ve not seen the new packaging as I’ve found I’m drinking it far less these days and have a stock.

Same flavours as before, except adding a couple of nut flavours (not keen on nuts so won’t be trying those).

I’m still trying to convince myself to try these things again, but can’t decide on who to go for, and the price is a bit steep for something I’m not sure I’ll like.

Could I technically live off just Huel? So let’s say three bottles + a hot & savoury for dinner? Would probably be healthier too!

1 Like

In theory. It’s not concretely tested though. I personally would be willing to live on these for 100% of my diet if it came to it. I know the founder of Soylent attempted to live solely on soylent for a while without issue. Saturo say you can do this as well. But YFood and Huel don’t actively endorse it one way or the other.

You’ll find the typical suggestions at the extreme end are similar to the way @breville_monkey and I use these. Replace breakfast and lunch, but have some edible food for dinner. For most folk it’s probably just for one meal, usually lunch.

The issue for me is variety and lack of good chewable options, because the human mouth wants to chew! It’s easy to get bored. Some folks say gum helps satisfy this, but I don’t like gum.

Who did you try last time? And did you like it? YFood is the easiest to recommend, because it’s very palatable for more people who otherwise haven’t enjoyed the taste of others. I suspect that’s down to using milk.

I can’t personally recommend Huel. Their nutrition, expertise, marketing and product design is industry leading and exceptional. But taste and texture just isn’t there, which is ultimately what matters most if you’re going to be consuming it.

1 Like

Yes, but probably you’d get bored I reckon. Unless you aren’t really a food person I guess. I think I’d still put some fresh fruit and vegetables in the diet if that was the plan too, somehow.

Huel is still my personal favourite. YFood is much sweeter and smoother, probably a gentler introduction to the things.

1 Like

A few years back, I tried to regularly consume Huel for all my meals and started well with the shakes. I did this for a good few months but I didn’t like drinking them cold in winter so slowly stopped during that time and fell off the wagon.

When Huel Hot n’ Spicy came out, I tried having that as a good hot alternative but unfortunately I just always felt hungry straight after eating it. I even tried adding noodles, which kind of helped. I never had that feeling with the shakes, they just felt more filling for a longer period so I started slowly stopping the hot and spicy.

I never got back into the routine of the first time I did it hardcore. I now sporadically have either but plan to see if the Mac and cheese is more filling and start up again.

1 Like

I tried Huel, 4 or so years ago. Selection was super limited still and I tried the original which felt like drinking flour mixed with water, really. Plain, and clumpy. I haven’t returned since, but it seems there are more (and more expensive) options now

The problem is that I am lazy as anything when it comes to cooking, and perhaps my dinners are my most unhealthy meals – and the most difficult to replace. Not sure what the other half would think if I sat down at the dinner table with a shaker :sweat_smile: but I am conscious that I need to eat better and more balanced, just can’t be f***d to cook proper meals after work and commute

2 Likes

It’s probably improved slightly since then, but i suspect you’d still feel similar with the same powder product. The other ranges may be worth a try. Again, YFood is really easy to suggest here, because I think out of all of them, it’s most likely going to be the one you’ll enjoy. That comes with the caveat a few folks have mentioned above though. If you can tolerate or even enjoy the others, YFood will quite possibly ruin them for you.

So for that same reason, if you don’t mind a bit of expenditure and trial and error, it may be worth leaving those as something to try if the others just don’t do it for you.

I actually use these as a bit of a justification for allowing myself to indulge in those less-than healthy foods that I love for dinner. I’m healthier than I’ve ever been nutrition wise, so it’s still a win for me on that front.

But absolutely, if this is a habit you want to change, and laziness is the main roadblock, these will almost certainly help, especially in the ready to drink versions. Variety is key though. Sticking to just one brand or one flavour doesn’t work for me, because I’ll get board and find myself opting for them less frequently. Variety keeps things more balanced and less likely to be craving some sour cream and onion Pringles because I’m not in a chocolate-y mood today!

I have some coming in the next couple of days- excited to try a pasta-based Huel, rather than grain-based.

1 Like

It looks good and potentially easy to transport and make somewhere else as well. Like pop two scoops in the travel mug and add hot water later.

Please report back :blush:

Looking forward to giving this a go. Will be lunch on Monday.

Will review

3 Likes