How/Will Monzo convince the older generation to switch?

I am older generation. Only improvement I would like is Joint Account.

4 Likes

Nothing I said was ageist in the slightest? I did say generally which therefore implies I am not talking about all people of a certain age. I know there are a lot of ā€œolderā€ people who use online banking, other various technologies.

It can be shown (as I used to work for a high street bank) that there is a higher percentage of people under 45 who use online banking compared to those over that age. That doesnā€™t automatically mean no one over that age uses it as you seem to imply that Iā€™ve stated

If you read my comments I actually stated that the people I gave out golden tickets to are in that ā€œolderā€ category

1 Like

Monzo shared these stats on the Facebook page today, which show that thereā€™s still some room for growth in the number of older users :wink:

emphasis mine

If thereā€™s one thing weā€™ve learnt as the Monzo community has grown, itā€™s that openness to change isnā€™t always related to age. Some may assume that a mobile led banking app is a product aimed squarely at people who have grown up with Uber and Instagram, but ultimately weā€™d like to think weā€™re working on solutions to problems which every generation has in common. Frustration with traditional banking is nothing new, as weā€™re sure our oldest users (who are in their 80ā€™s) can confirm! The possibility of being able to offer some sort of financial service and education to young people under the age of 18 in the future, is something which really excites us too :grinning: We look forward to welcoming more users of all ages and and creating an awesome and accessible product with their help :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m one of the 3% - a new user aged 70 (introduced by a friend of a similar age) - and I love it!

10 Likes

Itā€™s a really interesting feature of Monzo that it has particular benefits for people of various generations. Whilst Iā€™m mainly using it to budget myself as a student, my dad whoā€™s in his sixties is a huge fan of being able to transfer money instantly for those emergencies that pop up such as petrol money! A couple of weeks ago, he showed this feature to a friend of his of a similar age - he instantly begged for a golden ticket, so that he could do the same for his children! For me, Monzo makes all areas of personal banking super easy, and thatā€™s a feature which people of any age can appreciate!

4 Likes

I think there is strong evidence that it takes a lot to persuade most of us to change banks once we have settled on one. I suspect the motivation to change is not so much age or age-related attitudes; rather the occurance of changes in life (uni or first job, leaving the parents, permanent relationship etc). So it is unsurprising that the highest percentage of Monzo take-up is ages 26-35 and either side of that.
As others have said, motivations, though, will be many and varied.
As one of the 3% aged =>65, what attracted me is Monzoā€™s openness and honesty. Once people see this, they should be interested, whatever their age.

4 Likes

Totally agree! I guess this harks back to the idea that weā€™re aiming to provide a banking solution that will mean different things to different people. Depending on life events, different features may be helpful or relevant.

This is something I hope we can support with our actions over time. Rightly so, people of all ages have reservations when it comes to banking with fairly new or young financial institutions, itā€™s down to us to reinforce our position as a trustworthy alternative and convince them otherwise :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

A joint account would be the icing on the cake for me.
I`m coming up 79 and I just love new technology but having had a current with HSBC for 50+ years I would have to be sure the switch is trouble free.Our HSBC branch has just closed and I used that branch when it was the Midland bank so just shows how local loyalty counts for nothing.I shall be up to change when you have a joint account feature.
More power to your elbows.

10 Likes

@iceman Thatā€™s absolutely awesome! Do you mind sharing your point of view on Monzo as user from more experienced :sweat_smile: demographics? Iā€™ve been somewhat battling with my parents, trying to convince them about certain new finance things and I fail miserably. You might have better perspective, therefore give me better arguments than I ever came up with. :smiley:

2 Likes

Be my guest, share it my all means

@iceman great to hear from you :grinning: Weā€™ll be looking at joint accounts once we launch current accounts later this year. Thee are a few different approaches weā€™re toying with. Itā€™s a popular request and lots of discussion around this feature here.

We want to do everything we can to make the transition between current accounts as seamless as we possibly can, and will be sharing some more details on exactly how this will work once confirmed.

5 Likes

Artificial age limits for debit cards:

What limit has Monzo baked in to its code?

1 Like

Poor lady :disappointed: On iOS this is the upper limit is 120 :+1:

3 Likes

After my 120th birthday, should I text in-app support and ask them to change my registered birthdate by a year? Or will that trigger your anti-fraud systems? :joy:

1 Like

@jzw95 On your 120th birthday we will personally deliver a hot coral set of false teeth and a 24 carat mob-man trophy!

13 Likes

Iā€™ll remind you of that promise in about 58 years then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer! However, that does beg the question, does Monzo think Android users live longer or shorter lives than iOS users? :wink:

2 Likes

I think the stress of dealing with the android ecosystem will reduce their lifespanā€¦

1 Like

Android users will definitely live longer because Google will want to keep them alive to monetise them for longer.

Google Now already makes sure I donā€™t miss my flights, only eat at well reviewed places, dress appropriately for the weather, etcā€¦ give it a few years and itā€™ll be minimising my exposure to pollution, regulating my diet and monitoring my biometrics.

10 Likes

Iā€™m with Dunsford, though not quite as old and Iā€™ve always been on the tech leading edge!