How will 3D Secure work?

Just wondering how this will work. For consumers it’s a terrible system. For businesses, I am not sure it’s actually that effective - it just seems like security theatre to me.

That said, it’s been a few years since I’ve been forced to interact with it. My current debit card (RBS One Account) supports it, but never forced me to activate it, so when the screen pops up it just moves on instantly.

What will Monzo’s approach be?

Rather than having to interact with that form and remember some password or digits that you constantly have to regenerate because you don’t use them anywhere else, it would be magical if the app just prompted you to approve the transaction instead.

1 Like

I’m hoping that Monzo will be using 3D Secure 2.0. They have said it will be slick but not how it will function. The fact that it’s going to be slick suggests it’s using 2.0. On 2.0 rather than having a password you can use biometric authentication via the banks app to approve payments. It also has new risk algorithms which reduce the frequency in which you’re prompted to authorise

5 Likes

Fantastic! That’s reassuring.

2 Likes

I think that Monzo has said it’ll be 3D Secure 1.0 to start with - because it needs to be provided as a fall back for version 2.

That said (and I can’t find a source) I think they’ve said they’re trying to make it as painless and as “Monzo” as possible…

4 Likes

Here you go:

5 Likes

Thanks for this!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.