How many customers does Starling Bank have?

I thought the money was in the tours rather than radio plays :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I did 3 or 4 world tours over the space of a decade. Once you take away management cut, agent cut, the actual costs of touring, then split everything between bandmembers (or pay your hired musicians)… eh. You either have to be an artist on the level of the ones l8n mentioned, or be willing to tour like 9 months out of every 12. In the past, package tours like Warped could mitigate a lot of this for acts by having a ton of big brand sponsors, but even they couldn’t sustain in this climate.

Touring is a lot of fun but there’s really not much money in it for the vast majority of acts, even those of us who were signed to majors and had some promo push!

2 Likes

I feel that Monzo don’t need to stoop down to the cheesy advert level. Sure they have a few on the underground because London is a trendy place and it could do well but the majority of people blank out when the radio adverts go on.

Not to mention that the main target audience is young people and young people don’t really listen to the radio (saving the argument of if they should as it supports artists better is a different topic)

The colour of the card is an incredible marketing tool in itself. People see it, ask about it, learn about it, look into it, then the Monzo website does the rest of the convincing from there.

Doing well on the AppStore is also a great way of advertising.

One thing I would suggest is maybe some Monzo staff going around universities when there is fairs and things going on and maybe talking about financial health and could even throw in some recruitment and career advertising in there while they are at it.

Apart from that though, Monzo are doing great and adverts don’t really do business growth that much good. You are better off with word of mouth and building a product that people actually want to use.

3 Likes

I’m completely with the last poster.

This is purely a banding about of opinion - but I think some advertising and more presence in the regions could be useful for long term growth. London is massively important of course, but in places like Manchester - Monzo seems to be much less prevalent. There are huge student hubs like Fallowfield and Rusholme where thousands of students commute through to the big unis along the Oxford Road bus corridoor (the busiest in Europe). The cheap Magic Buses are often packed with young people on their way to uni/work. Some on bus/in bus eyecatching ads to promote brand awareness and reinforce word of mouth talk could be useful?

How about student reps at unis throughout the country, or presence at Freshers’ Fairs etc.? Monzo has built a fantastic product for simple financial management with a brilliant community. Even hooking up with places lots of young people use like gyms/clubs/shops around universities for soft benefits like priority entry when using Monzo - small discounts etc. might be an avenue to consider.

1 Like

This is a great idea :+1:

Looks like starling are on a 55k new users a month

1 Like

Starling Bank has lots of positive reviews on Trustpilot. A lot of folk goes there and checks stats. This works as kind of an advert too. I have checked Monzo on TP and there is like 13 reviews? I know you can’t push positive stuff everywhere but spreading positive feedback sometimes works better than any advert, especially in era of internet. :thinking:

Monzo have 376 reviews on Trust Pilot currently, compared to 1,617 for Starling.

1 Like

Wow @simonb helluva story.

Which band where you in? Colour me curious

Yep, you are right. I saw monzo.co.uk instead of com. Silly me. But still, there is a lot of 1’s in comments tho :frowning:

Read the 1 star reviews they are ridiculous. One of them calling it “Monza” and saying he’s been with them for years. Another one just the other day talking about “topping up prepaid”, which hasn’t been done in months…

Then you have the others where Monzo have replied and stated their accounts have been closed for FCA reasons… :thinking::thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

I had a look on some profiles who gave 1 star review and those people are giving 1 stars to most banks like metro or others. Imo they did stuff which have broken some laws that’s why they are making fuss about closed accounts and “stolen” money by Monzo.

Edit:
In my opinion Monzo should do a Have your say about us day. Post your Review on TP. If you do you can get a badge in your profile/account. Something like beta tester or stuff. It is easier to get negative reviews so you need to encourage ppl who are more likely to post something positive, as the rule says, “If I am happy, I say nothing. If I am mad I say that.”

1 Like

Brilliant :joy:

2 Likes

I think monzo should get a few verified orders though, their trust pilot score is very low compared to starling and Revolut. The average person will not care if a review is a verified order or not. 8/10 trust pilot score is better than 6/10 regardless of where the reviews come from.

4 Likes

We’re working on it. In the past there was a worry that it’d be a bit spammy but I think we’re beyond that now and it’s pretty clear something needs to be done.

Stay tuned :grinning:

8 Likes

Interesting, I was a fairly early user of Starling but have never been invited to leave a review. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

TrustPilot (and the like) are mainly funded by the businesses listed and using their services, and they grant businesses a number of tools to manipulate how reviews appear. Given this, they’re not really acting in the customers best interest, or in the interest of businesses not paying them. Combined with fake reviews being on an industrial scale these days it’s very difficult to trust any of the review sites.

2 Likes

Just tell TrustPilot and their parasitic business model to eff off?

And the brainless morons that use it too and are incapable of doing anything with their lives without some stranger’s validation?

Too ranty?

I got an email specifically on the topic from Starling just this week, so maybe they’re getting around everyone (not that I was a particularly early user)

1 Like

They do…

1 Like