How Long Until Monzo Leaves Beta?

How long will my card be in the beta mode?

Timeline: https://trello.com/b/9tcaMB4w/monzo-transparent-product-roadmap

The roadmap doesnā€™t have a timescale for Monzo exiting the beta program on it?

Would I be wrong in assuming that they would not launch a current account if it was in beta?

Starling (who have launched their current accounts) are still in beta & Iā€™m guessing Monzo will still be ā€˜testingā€™ the current accounts for x time.

I assumed the launch of the current accounts to the majority of Monzo customers would ā€œsignalā€ the end of the beta phase. If Iā€™m not wrong, the debit cards donā€™t have the beta notice on them, do they?

1 Like

The previews that weā€™ve seen havenā€™t. But I wouldnā€™t expect Monzo to say that theyā€™re out of beta when the start rolling out the current account to a small number of external testers etc.

So although your suggestion sounds logical, personally Iā€™d rather not assume that any of the steps on the roadmap are the exit point, until the teamā€™s answered this.

Obviously there may be another point thatā€™s not on the roadmap when the conditions for exiting beta will be met.

My guess is that they are:

• Account & payments systems are stable & reliable
  • Transition of all customers to the current accounts / debit cards is complete
  • Current accounts have all of the core bank account functionality in place

And we donā€™t know which order those steps will be completed in, though presumably point 1 will have been met before the rolloutā€™s thatā€™re currently in the medium term list on the roadmap start.

1 Like

Did not realise that Starling was in beta as their cards do not say this (unlike :monzo:).

1 Like

Beta is just a term. Thereā€™s not really any definitive point where it would change. Iā€™d personally say that the prepaid system was a beta for the current account system. So Iā€™d say once the current accounts are launched then itā€™d be out of beta. But thatā€™s my two pence on the idea

5 Likes

If I recall correctly iCloud (website) and gmail were in beta for yearsā€¦

4 Likes

And hasnā€™t Handbrake finally come out of beta?

@anon72173902 and @Dunsford, youā€™re probably right. But I think a bank is a bit different to these other products. There are a lot of people who are not going to trust their money to a beta account. Monzo needs to exit beta to be seen as a ā€˜realā€™ bank by a significant portion of the population, so I hope the current accounts arenā€™t in beta for years!

1 Like

Techy people will be put off by beta yes but you might be overstating the number of ā€˜normalā€™ people who are.

Judging by the number of tweets I see from people who get caught out by an outage, while only carrying their Monzo card, Iā€™m not sure that many ā€˜normalā€™ people understand the implications of Monzo being in beta.

1 Like

I guess this is the flip side of what I was trying to say. Most people will see Monzo as a ā€˜realā€™ bank, or not. If Monzo stays in beta and you have to carry another card, there are still issues, etc., then it will start getting a bad reputation. Most people wonā€™t knowingly use a beta bank, and if they unknowingly use one, they will not be understanding when things arenā€™t reliable.

That being said, Iā€™m not worried. I canā€™t see Monzo staying in beta for years. I think the team are pretty focused on getting a full current account up and running with reliability that exceeds the current big banks.

2 Likes

With the upcoming launch of the current account - does this signify the end of the ā€˜betaā€™ for Monzo?

edit: now merged in this thread. summary, who knows.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.