Help us test physical Flex cards 👀

Today was the first time I could use my Flex card (I don’t shop or eat out much :sweat_smile:).

First transaction I used chip & pin, went through fine.
I tried contactless for the second transaction (diesel, pay at kiosk), but I got the message below and was told to insert the card. Chip & pin went through fine.

Do you need to make more than one chip & pin transaction before contactless becomes available?

1 Like

Nope

1 Like

Have you set your contactless limit below the amount needed? That might be why

4 Likes

Ah that might be it!
I had set the limit to £30 for the debit card. It’s not clear that this would be the same for the Flex card, but as a member of this community I should have imagined it would.

If that’s why it was declined, the error message could do with an improvement to say it was due to the contactless limit set lower than the payment, rather than a “security check”.

6 Likes

Can’t wait for this to officially launch!!!

1 Like

Pay at Pump doesn’t work, as expected! :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Does it work at all? Or just not work? In what way not as expected? I haven’t tried it so far and I’m currently trying to run my tank to almost empty.

1 Like

Expected because flex doesn’t support pay at pump.

The pump refuses the card when you insert it.

3 Likes

Ah. Doesn’t work, as expected. (?)

6 Likes

As already expected, it doesn’t work.

As we were expected to suspect, it doesn’t not miswork.

9 Likes

Ooo what wallet case is that? Looks better than my Apple MagWallet with easier access to the cards

1 Like

Bellroy sleeve :heart:

9 Likes

Thank you :pray:t4: :heart:

OK, so I put a load of stuff on Flex amd other cards for my dad (including multiple Vodafone PAYG top ups) while he was in hospital, and he’s now paid me back. I made these transactions because I had the physical card - I’d have used a different physical card otherwise, and the physical Flex card is encouraging me to use the facility.

I went on to pay off 7 single installment (pay on next Flex date option) items in full, and to pay two part paid (6 installment) ones early in full.

For each of the 7 single installment tems I paid off early in full, it was 5 taps plus a fingerprint payment authorisation. It seemed a very long-winded process.

For the part paid installment ones I had to type in the remaining amount - it would be useful to be able to select “pay off early in full” or “pay a different amount”.

Although in future I’ll probably just use the “pay on next Flex date” for almost everything it did highlight the difference between Flex and a traditional credit card.

On the one hand, it’s clear what you’re paying (or not) in interest for each transaction - unlike a traditional credit card which is very opaque in this respect.

On the other hand, if you do pay early and multiple transactions are involved, it’s very clunky and cumbersome dealing with the transactions individually.

Not sure I have a solution but perhaps there could be a way to select multiple transactions and make one payment authorisation?

7 Likes

Did you not have this?

2 Likes

Yes - having poked around (it’s not obvious). That would have let me pay off everything, but not be selective.

1 Like

Well, I’ve just had a look at the statement for the first time, and if I’m honest I’m not impressed.

• No merchant information for purchases
  • No way to identify which transactions I’ve paid back with which payment. For this, as well as merchant info you’d need some kind of reference number - if I’ve paid ÂŁ10 off one of my Amazon purchases, which one have I part paid?
  • Lines 1 to 3 say “You paid extra”, which I did, but 2 of the transactions were part paid and I paid off the whole remaining amount, so this should (IMO) say that I paid early. The remaining one I didn’t clear, so “extra” is correct.

I really like the way Flex works in general, but I don’t think this statement design is really fit for purpose. Would be interested in others’ thoughts.

3 Likes

That’s not a statement, that’s a hot mess

10 Likes

Monzo statements in general are.

1 Like