Google Pixel Fold

Freebies with a launch is a normal google thing… I got my bose headphones that way. I ordered a 7a and am getting free pixel buds.

Slightly surprised their site didn’t crash or sell out within 3 seconds though. That used to be the rite of passage for ordering new google phones, esp. back in the nexus days.

2 Likes

The UK pricing is weird

Ex VAT prices
7a £374 ($472), Tablet £499 ($629), Fold £1458 ($1838)

US Prices
7a $499, Tablet $499, Fold $1799

So ex VAT price for the Pixel 7a is less than the US, the fold is similar, but we get charged $130 more for the tablet!

Reality-check time. The PxFold price is too high. It’s above a good performance laptop.

Sales will (I predict) be shocking - I’m not going for it at that price and I’m a die-hard Nexus/Pixel fan who wants a fold.

So waiting for 2 results:

1. the released-sooner-rather-than-later Fold 2, or Fold 1a, or Folda - which will be much, much cheaper with the same specs (same device, different packaging)
  2. massively discounted Folds. Probably with impressive giveaways rather than price reduction (Px Watch + Buds Pro + Google One, etc.)

Sigh.

2 Likes

I was thinking about the 7a to replace my 4a 5g that’s my backup phone, but MKBHD said he’d still get the regular 7, which is £150 more as the camera’s are apparently better, speakers are better too

I’m in the camp of it being too expensive, too. I was hoping for £1500.

Still, Google will give me £250 for my 6 Pro (even though I cracked the back, which is a fair price I think) and then I already have a Pixel Watch, so sell the new one for £200 and then it comes down to £1300 at least. Which might be doable.

I don’t know if I’ll pull the trigger, though. Will see what the reviews say. Plus… Need a new job :weary: (got some consulting work for a bit, but still looking for a full time gig)

6 Likes

Maybe come back to Monzo and be Ex-ex Monzo :smiley:
In all seriousness, I wish you look with getting a full time job

3 Likes

Freudian slip there, but it kinda works

1 Like

Funnily enough… One of my ex Sphere colleagues (who did not go to Twitter post acquisition) just started at Monzo this week! She’s done the reverse of what I did :rofl:

3 Likes

I love how the exclusive colour costs £50 more

This cable management is worse than the Fold price :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Perhaps a recent addition? as it seems that the rest of the cables are hidden behind the wall

Do you think Google TV is better than a firestick i’m currently using?

Please don’t judge! I have cable tubes ready to put down the wall and along the skirting board… But you know, things get in the way :joy:

3 Likes

The 7a is such a competitive price and the only thing that makes me hesitate from putting it in my basket is the lack of battery share - far too many friends rely on my battery when I’m out.

I’ve got my Pixel 5 (cracked screen the day I paid it off :broken_heart: ) so I’m wondering how much they’d offer in trade in

Tablet is silly money :exploding_head:

4 Likes

They’re offering £95 so not the worst - only a £40 deduction from what a fully un cracked Pixel 5 would be on trade :money_with_wings:

1 Like

Fold is crazy expensive so not something to consider.

Google still haven’t fixed the biggest issue I have, though - the charging speed. It is fine up to 50% then drops off a cliff. When you want a quick top-up to guarantee you will last the evening, it just can’t do it. Has the P6Pro and was one of the reasons I sold it. If it fast charged to 80% that would be something. I don’t even need 100w nonsense just fast charge to 80% at 25/30w even Samsung do it better.

The Pixel 7 is available from O2 for £387 (£337 with a promo code). You buy the phone outright and then sign up to a 1 month SIM which you can cancel without charge once you receive the phone.

A better option than the 7a!

I really do want a 7a to replace my 4a 5g as it’s really compelling, especially with the 90hz display

I don’t think it’s worth spending the money unless there’s an upgrade like FHD to 4K, I do think the Google TV is better overall but at the end of the day once your app of choice is open it’s not too different.

2 Likes

I personally prefer the Fire Stick. Mainly because it’s so much faster in general performance.

Google TV itself is a nice UI.

1 Like