Google Pixel Fold

There’s an apps only view on Google TV which disables most adds.
You get three non-personalised adds at the top and then just the apps.

4 Likes

If you press down the adds disappear

3 Likes

Having gone from the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max to the Roku Streaming Stick 4K its night and day difference.

Amazon was slow to boot, jitters through menus, slow to load the apps in comparison. If you’ve used the app its lucky dip if it connects and drops randomly.
Also found the stick would randomly lose the WiFi and theres no button to quick reset on the device

2 Likes

I guess everyone has different experiences!

I had an Amazon Firestick 4K which was slow, I have the Firestick 4K max now and it’s pretty good. Just timed it and pressing the Netflix button while the TV is off, takes just under 1.5 seconds to load Netflix (some of that will be the TV coming on I guess).

A touch of lag in menus - you’d have to be very sensitive to such lag to notice it I think and generally while scrolling programs the same, although I’ve noticed some UHD content can be the exception.

Overall no issues. However, I have had experiences with sub par devices from Amazon and I reckon their quality control is not great

I’ve always wanted a Shield TV but just can’t justify the cost when the Google TV works fine… :sob:

1 Like

Looks nice, I’m with my IP14PM for a while, let’s see how tech improves on the creases!

1 Like

Google IO in 40 minutes or so… will see what gets released, if anything.

Urgh the preshow is terrible, as usual. /mute

2 Likes

Who remembers when we used to host Google IO and WWDC watch parties at the Monzo office? :sunglasses:

Good times. I’m tuned in!

1 Like

I’m surprised the audience isn’t loudly snoring. Half an hour of ‘we can do chatGPT too!!’ A year ago it would have been impressive…

1 Like

It was a bit long winded to show essentially UX and UI features for chatgpt/bard/palm2 inside workspaces apps, I’ve seen it with MS office already but maybe a lot haven’t.

The developer audience at this would.

It’s sad stuff and just confirms how far behind the curve they are.

You can already get WhatsApp on wearOS if you’re on the WhatsApp beta.

Yay Android competition to apple’s find my, it’s coming to all androids, not just pixels.

2 Likes

Also 3rd party tags can link to it. Neat.

IIRC that ‘you are being tracked’ popup is a collaboration with apple so both ecosystems can do it with any device.

3 Likes

They announced a standard for it recently.

It’s already bypassable (always has been) with projects like openhaystack where you programme the Bluetooth chip to use new pre arranged public keys ever few minutes.

This could potentially be mitigated by monitoring strange airtags by proximity over a period of time, even if they broadcasts different IDs.

Store just went live…

7a £449, Tablet £599, Fold £1749

No way any phone is worth 1749.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s expensive.

Honestly now that the 7a has wireless charging (albeit not fast wireless) it has ip67 and the cameras look close enough or better to the pixel 6 ( will need to check this properly) I don’t think I’ll be buying the 7 or 8 or other flagship, and I’ll massively prefer the smaller screen on the 7a to my current 6.

It’s missing battery share, one less mic and spatial audio compared to the 7, but has a better chip, arguably better screen and the same amount of ram.

I designed a foldable and then I priced it at £1749

and I know why (why, man?)
Yeah, hey
'Cause I got high
Because I got high
Because I got high

3 Likes

Yeah they’re pretty close… Smaller, slightly larger battery (unless that’s a typo) everything else basically the same except battery share, which I’ve got no use for.

1 Like

Agreed. But TBF it’s the same price as a 1TB Pro Max. Plus you get the free Pixel Watch.