Giving the community more trust

“someone was banned suspended and their less wholesome posts obliterated”

How can you tell?

Post count dropped, replies disappeared and if you look at OP’s profile…

lol oh yeah, don’t even know who it was tbh.

They are gonna be pissed though what with investing then being banned :joy:

Perhaps. Would that help if Monzo staff posted a “Removed X posts for breach of guidelines. Back on topic please. :slight_smile:” style message?

Just to be 100% clear to everybody, this was not action taken by us and we do not have the ability to take that action. I won’t disclose the exact story but I encourage people to read the suspension reason.

3 Likes

Pretty much that, yep. A short message to make it clear - we admins have stepped in (posts removed/user suspended), the ‘leaders’ are just trying to do their job, nothing is being changed/censored without reason etc. I understand it might jar conversation, and hopefully isn’t needed too often, but…

There were some accusations of messing with posts and such, and people won’t always know what rights the higher-ups do and don’t have. I know none of you did anything, but posts vanishing won’t help accusations. How you moderate might be different, this is all just my opinion.

Plus he was being a bit of a brat.

2 Likes

I don’t know whether it’s the funding round frustrations (perceived or real) or people wanting to sock it to “the man” (Leaders) but there’s been more bad vibe than ever before in these forums this last week or so.

I’m sure there’s also more regular forum users than ever before so the need for volunteer Leaders is definitely required now. But keep the Monzo staff checking in and posting - it’s a big part of the reason I check in so regularly.

Leaders are doing a great job. :muscle:

2 Likes

I agree with the bad vibes, not sure if it’s just me but I’ve also noticed a lot of new members just coming on to kick off and stir it up over this investment/crowdcube thing.

5 Likes

I also think the leaders are doing a great job.

All the negativity seems to stem from the way the crowdfunding is being managed and Monzo’s management of information relating to the running of and progress of this crowdfunding round.

It has been just a few users having a good moan but not just in one post but an ongoing stream of posts all thru a thread, which perhaps magnifies the problem.

Also the tone of one or two disgruntled users has been very negative rather than constructively critical.

4 Likes

Not just you, there’s been a very clear and noticeable downturn of moods over crowdfunding and I think we’ve been at the receiving end of that anger by defending Monzo.

I think there are some very good lessons to learn from the round, for example, despite all the talk of being able to prove the randomness of the ballot, there’s still no real way to genuinely prove anything about it other than one hash of one part of the seed. It’s clear that there were also major issues in communication over the running of the ballot between the triangle of us (customers/investors), Monzo, and Crowdcube. I personally don’t care either way about my investment (I’d rather contribute my skills and work for them than what little money I have) but I understand that this was quite an emotional investment for some people in addition to a monetary one.

Overall, Monzo are facing a lot of growing pains right now in many areas. To be 100% honest, the company is both building and burning through goodwill in the lead up to the roll-out of current accounts. I truly hope that Monzo gets a chance to deliver on the talk-debt they’ve been building up.

7 Likes

These should be good to go for tomorrow actually! Or the first version of them at least :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep just to second this, the leaders do not have the ability to ban or block users. It wouldn’t be appropriate for us to comment on each specific instance where this has happened publicly, but the suspension reason offers enough information I think.

We do need to take a another look at how we proceed with things like this in cases where a users account has been suspended. Especially if many of their contributions have nothing to do with the reason this action was taken. The last thing we want is for this to reflect badly on the job the forum leaders are doing, we need to be transparent with them when we make these decisions too.

Zainab and I are determined to encourage this (chocolate flavoured bribery normally does the trick!) There’s a lot of value in contributions from across the team here. As much as Zainab and I try, there are amazing people working here, who are much better suited to answering certain questions in more detail. There’s plenty going on at the moment and I know a lot of team members simply don’t have as much time as they would like to dedicate to talking with community members. It’s on the radar and we’re working on it- even a couple of posts from each team member in a month would amount to 50%+ staff input which would be amazing!

8 Likes

Just leave it and never use it then? Or pop back in from time to time - we are a friendly bunch and you get to see sneak peeks of what :monzo: are up to :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To be honest if an user would like to delete their account I would allow them to do so. I myself delete accounts I don’t use just so there’s no chance they can get compromised without me noticing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @charlotte.humphreys - I have just sent you a private message!

1 Like