Get your Trainline and Wetherspoons Receipts in Monzo

That looks really cool and would be interested to see an extended version of it!

1 Like

Get it added to this list:

Great work bud!

1 Like

Not directly within an authorization message but you can pass unique identifiers that can be linked back up to receipt data served externally.

Apple and American Express does something like this to link iTunes receipts from statements.

2 Likes

That’s super interesting, thanks!

Is that sorta how flux works? Passes data through an external service that’s linked to unique identifiers in the authorization message?

Schema is cool but the point is lots of transactions won’t involve an email and many users wouldn’t want emails anyway.

2 Likes

Yes. Though Flux does it on authorization code and a direct partnership with both merchants and us.

2 Likes

So basically this will add any receipts that are sent via E-Mail?

A lot of transactions I make result in an email receipt, Amazon, Argos, Google, Expedia, Booking.com, etc., etc. Having a (personal) script running in the background to add all items purchased from the email receipt into the corresponding Monzo transaction would be huge.

For non emailed transactions, there is Flux, notes & #tags.

EDIT: Unless Monzo make this native :wink:

3 Likes

I’m going to have a rummage in my inbox (fnar) and see what kind of receipts I have in there. Can’t be that hard to create some extra “rules”, can it…?

1 Like

Many receipts are already parsed by services such as Google. If we’re going to regex them ourselves, it’s important to have some consistency in the fields we’re using.

2 Likes

Schema uses defined fields.
My Google account can have scripts running in the background
The script(s) extract data from the defined fields of receipts received by email
The data is then sent to the Monzo receipts API by the script.

All theoretical until I get it working (or not) but it seems possible at this initial stage. Yes, you’ll need a service that supports scripting (Google account). Yes, you’ll need an individual script running (which should be easily done for interested users from a template if it is proven to work), but because I selfishly have all of the above I’ll give it a try.

Won’t be for a while though, I’m on holiday :passenger_ship:

5 Likes

That sounds like a really cool idea too, please let me know how you get on!

1 Like

To be honest, I’ve had a quick look at what you’ve posted on GitHub and it is outstanding :+1: I’d rather help contribute merchants to this than re-invent the wheel on a more limited basis.

I’ll have a more detailed look into the merchant structure when I return from hols. What would be good would be a way for users to contribute merchant info, but that may entail sending copies of receipts to an email scraper :scream:

1 Like

In my experience I get much higher quoted fares via Trainline than I get with other comparison sites. I’ve even gotten lower fares on the direct operator websites than via Trainline before.

I wouldn’t use Trainline, honestly. I don’t know if it’s intentional or if their product just sucks, but the quality of results has greatly deteriorated since I last used it.

1 Like

Just read this on a rail forum (not sure if still true if there is zero fees as you say)

I think this is probably one of the top misconceptions. It is literally never ever the cheapest place to buy from and it is always more expensive than buying from the TOC directly.

The marketing really is insidious. When I worked for VTWC the VTWC booking site, run by TL, was exactly like Trainline in every way except the buttons were red and not green. Yet customers when told they could save at least £1 by booking with us directly, that Trainline ran our site and the only difference was we didn’t (in fact, couldn’t) charge a booking fee, responded by saying they preferred the “layout of the Trainline site”! It was the same site!!

2 Likes

Ooops I looked at the well written code to, I had to learn golang sometime.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, you reading from IMAP to do it too?

That’s amazing work!

I haven’t got round to trying to build a Merchant scrape yet (probably Argos was my initial target), but this Amazon scrape is fantastic.

Do you plan to PR it into the GitHub source?

1 Like

Yes, your code with some tweaks, very good code you did, made it so easy to learn golang in a night.

Biggest issue to diagnose was that amazon always sent the email before the charge and you were not allowing that scenario, bamboozled me for majority of the night.

1 Like