For the love of Ireland 🇮🇪

Okay folks: why aren’t any fintechs in Ireland? :ireland:

But which I mean a proper, localised version of a decent consumer, personal current account, fintech.

Basically, I think that either Monzo or Starling would clean up. So why aren’t they bothering? Is it because of the population (Irish population is around the same as the whole Monzo customer base)? Or is it the banking licence / Brexit thing?

I know that Revolut is fairly popular over there. But they’re not really a bank (or are they running off their Lithuanian licence being EU and all that)?

Possibly the EU bit, I guess.

1 Like

Revolut has been a bank in Ireland since March 2022.

1 Like

As for why neither Monzo nor Starling have made any attempt to branch out into Ireland, I think the former just went the other way towards America. Not sure why, when the world’s largest single market is literally on its doorstep, but I guess $$$ were the prize. As for Starling, I reckon it’s moving into Ireland/Europe the other way round – using its Engine subsidiary. Perhaps a shrewd move? Who knows?

I was reading reviews for Revolut yesterday and for RoI being in the EU still, it seems favourable to some.

There seems to be something very dysfunctional about the banking sector in Ireland with two major high street banks (KBC and Ulster) having withdrawn from trading there recently.

Edit: Some good analysis here.

1 Like